1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More fun with ethics: Maxim apologizes for Black Crowes review

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One star for you, smellypaper.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Is Mitch Albom reviewing music now?

3. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I tried this for a literature test in college. I got a 3. Out of 100.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I was about to post this under "Time To Eat Crowes?"

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Who the hell reads album reviews in Maxim anyhow? Hell, who over the age of 30 reads Maxim? It's a poorly written magazine that has heavily airbrushed photos of dull starlets who want to appear "sexy". The really beautiful and talented women don't fool with the magazine...

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

A "Wuzzuh brah" 19-year-old frat boy once told me Maxim was too immature. Now that's lowbrow.

8. According to the Black Crowes Web site, here's Maxim's emailed response to them (supposedly, Maxim only heard one song - the single "Daughters of the Revolution"):

When confronted with the fact that they never heard the album they are claiming to 'review’ in their music section--with a star rating, no less--they attempt to explain that it was an 'educated guess.' In an email correspondence, Maxim went on to state: ‘Of course, we always prefer to (sic) hearing music, but sometimes there are big albums that we don’t want to ignore that aren’t available to hear, which is what happened with the Crowes. It’s either an educated guess preview or no coverage at all, so in this case we chose the former.’”

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I write NCAA basketball features two days before they happen.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Outing alert: mustangj17 is Mitch Albom.

11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I heard this on the radio today and my first response was: "The Black Crowes are still together?"

I like their music, but I figured they'd have run out of Otis Redding songs to cover by now!

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They've broken up and gotten back together several times. I think the Robinson brothers and the drummer (Steve Gorman) are the only guys from TBC's heyday still in the band.

And since no one has mentioned it, the live album they did a few years ago with Jimmy Page and playing mostly Zeppelin songs (Excess All Areas, it was called) is pretty damned good.

Draft saved Draft deleted