1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

more fun with brutal ledes.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writing irish, Mar 7, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Big as a beef company being purchased?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, lets not go overboard.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

A friend of mine once described a lopsided football loss as "the worst disaster to hit the Irish since the Potato Famine of 1859." It was gently removed.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

Maybe we should start a worst lede contest -- who can lay the biggest turd at the top of an imaginary story? Here's my first effort:

At yesterday's emotional funeral for Crestwood football coach Billy Smith, the most emotional moment came when quarterback Dave White tried and failed to deliver the eulogy: His lips quivered like two Oktoberfest sausages jumping in a hot pan, or the engorged labia of an orgasmic pregnant woman. It was the saddest thing this faithful reporter has witnessed since Billy Smith's actual death, which happened at last Sunday's 24-21 overtime loss to Catholic, the chalk outline sprayed around his rotund body bleeding into the fifty yard line, like our tears into our Arby's napkins.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The scary is many of us know worse - and more gross - ledes than this. Ugh ...

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Hey, it's hard to write badly on purpose. It's like punching yourself in the face.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I will never forget where I was the day that JBS had reached an agreement to buy National Beef.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Lions haven't been in this much trouble since Siegfried & Roy."

9. McLovin

McLovin New Member

I actually recognized the monumental importance of the merger and its inevitbale worldwide implications immediately, so I was thinking listing events of which the historical importance is immediately evident would have made for a better lede. You know, like the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the falling of the Berlin War.

Clearly a serious missed opportunity by an otherwise strong writer.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

God, I love this lede.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

The writer is the one that does not belong.

Draft saved Draft deleted