1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

more fun with brutal ledes.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writing irish, Mar 7, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

This one's from business news, not sports, but I thought I'd present it anyway, by way of warning.

http://beefmagazine.com/cowcalfweekly/jbs-becomes-industrys-dominant-player/

JBS Becomes Industry's Dominant Player
    Mar 7, 2008

I've always wondered if those who heard Abraham Lincoln give his Gettysburg Address, saw the first cell phone, or gazed at Jesus Christ crucified upon a cross, really realized at the time that they were part of something historic. These are events that altered the world, but their significance probably wasn't completely understood at the time.

The announcement this week that JBS had reached an agreement to buy National Beef/U.S. Premium Beef (USPB), Smithfield Foods' beef interests (packing plants and feedyards), and Conti Group's half-interest in Five Rivers (the world's largest cattle-feeding company) is the type of significant event that might be considered historic from a cattle-industry standpoint. JBS was already the largest packer in the world but it will now control 10% of the global beef market and process nearly one-third of all U.S. fed cattle.

Um....okay.

2. The greatest man who ever lived dying the most horrible death ever to pay for the sins of the whole world, perhaps our greatest president being shot, the introduction of one of the most popular products of all time...and some deal involving beef.
    Yeah, those are the same.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I would argue the cell phone doesn't even fit in there. If anything, what about the steam engine? The automobile? Hell, a computer?

And what about the Chinese with their gunpowder?

4. captzulu

captzulu Member

This is like one of those "which one does not belong" questions on aptitude tests.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I also would argue DemoChristian's point that Lincoln being shot while delivering the Gettysburg Address belongs on the list.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

For those of us who make our life's work the written word, Gutenberg's printing press was selected as the most important invention in human history

the reasoning was its ability to distribute ideas

7. writing irish

1. Beef
    2t. Gettysburg
    2t. Jesus
    2t. cell phones

It's really that simple.

8. I just failed reading comprehension. I could have sworn he had a reference to Lincoln being shot.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

That's an awesome lede. I think I'll insert it into tonight's girls basketball roundup to give it some spice.

10. writing irish

That's the beauty of it. With just a little tweaking, it can be your lede for any article where the subject is dramatic.

Those soldiers deployed to Omaha Beach were pretty nervous. So were the residents of Leningrad during the Nazi siege.

The Palookaville Panthers J.V. basketball team can relate. Their star post, Clem Cadiddlehopper, had just fouled out with 8:45 to play. The visting Putnam County Peckerwoods led Palookaville 43-39...

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, not to change things up on this thread (have at it, please), but I think cell phones are pretty big on the all-time innovation list, for what it's worth. Changed the world in many ways.

Draft saved Draft deleted