1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More fun from JRC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lapdog, Mar 18, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Currently trading at 54.5 cents a share.

That's up 2.5 cents from yesterday, or a whopping 4.81 percent.

Current market cap $21.65M. A year ago JRC was $6 a share; five years ago, $15 a share. At the very least, management has done a piss-poor job of managing assets, which they apparently know: none of the "insider" stockholders have acquired stock since late July 2006.

2. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I think I saw Esteban pimping the company on QVC the other night.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

How soon before they file for Chapter 11 protection or start selling off papers to raise revenue?

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Low stock price, incredibly high debt to income ratio and a major credit crisis in the financial markets. I can't see how they stay open, what bank in their right mind will give them a short term loan?

Forced sale of properties, then when that's done, they will go into bankruptcy for liquidation. They have destroyed some papers beyond repair, especially places such as Middletown, Conn. where they sold the building. No press, no building = no paper.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

isn't that about the same amount the cocksucker who used to run the company made a year in bonuses?

fuck off jrc.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Spent a couple minutes on their site, and happened to notice the press release touting all their Suburban Newspaper Association awards. My favorite? An honorable mention for best non-Page 1 layout. The subject? The Va. Tech massacre.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey, lay off (get it? lay off?). It wasn't local.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OK, I get what a horrible company this is, you all have made that clear. What I don't get is how it ever expected to make money. Going into crushing debt to acquire assets whose market value you then lower = profits how?
    The more I read on this section of SportsJournalists.com, the more I realize that the problem in the newspaper isn't that it's run by ogres who'd do anything to make a buck, but that it's run by ogres who have no idea of how to make a buck in the first place.

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

It was all a shell game played by Bob and his cronies. There was never any attempt to turn it into a profitable company, just to steal every penny for themselves. The end game was never going to be pretty.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

NYT on the possible "restructuring":

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/05/business/05journal.html?_r=1&ref=media&oref=slogin

11. lapdog

lapdog Member

Yeah, there was probably a big Chamber of Commerce cocktail party that night. Your News, Your Paper.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The lead of the NY Times article linked above says that in a magazine interview the JRC chief executive bragged about checking the odometers in repoters' vehicles to verify expense reports.
    Do we know if that's just all talk or did he actually do that to some repoters?

Draft saved Draft deleted