1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More fun from JRC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lapdog, Mar 18, 2008.

1. lapdog

lapdog Member

Greg Hladky Laid Off By New Haven Register; One of Best-known Capitol Reporters Of The Past 25 Years

Layoff comes via a phone call. No offer to let Hladky finish his final story, finish out the day of work.

No, no, no. Pack up your junk, and get out of there. NOW.
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

The move leaves the Register - a major paper that has suffered through cutbacks for years - without anyone at the state Capitol as the General Assembly moves into the most important time of the legislative session.

Yeah I think that's the plan.

Lots of interesting comments already posted on the BLOG. hope he lands on his feet.
  3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

In a perfect world, you'd think Greg would land on his own two feet someplace. Until that happens, hang in there.
  4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the church bells continue to ring. have they really stopped in the past month or so?
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reading the comments on the site, sounds like Greg is an excellent journalist. Even the people who he's tangled with in the past are lamenting his firing.
  6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

yeah, i don't know the guy, never heard of him, but find myself rooting for him to land on his proverbial feel just because it sounds like he did his fucking job the right way

those of you who know him keep us posted on his plans
  7. BYH

BYH Active Member

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was he the only one laid off? If so, could he sue for age discrimination since he was not offered the opportunity to be reassigned?
  9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sadly, i stand corrected.
  10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Why lay him off when the stock is skyrocketing.
    It closed at 79 cents a share last Thursday and at 85 cents today.
  11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

A reminder that Bob Jelenic lives. Maybe we should call him Bob Rasputin.
  12. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Closed at $0.52, and it's been below a buck for a while. How long before NYSE throws a stock out because of sub-$1 performance? A month? Two months?
Draft saved Draft deleted