1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Slashin' Sam

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 27, 2008.

1. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Wow. Glad someone else remembers that.

If you say $1,500, I'll buy that. It was a long time ago, so what I remember most is that the bonus was ridiculously out of proportion to what was offered in the suggestion program.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Too bad the guy wasn't a consultant. He'd have charged them $1 million to save $500,000 and the suits would have been thrilled.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I used to work with a guy who would go apeshit - really apeshit - if you gave him receipts for an expense report in a sealed envelope. Or any envelope. He prefered a paper clip and he'd give you the paper clip back when he was done with your report and the receipts were filed.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Old corporate story. Sears used to solicit suggestions the same way, but if you came up with a beaut, hey, you were an employee, that's your job. Looking for the big check? Whistle.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

OK, I wasn't sure about Gannett. Thanks.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I were that employee, I would have gathered up the contest brochure, as well as any cost-analysis that proved the money was saved. Then he should have got himself a lawyer.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

And done what? Have a dinner party?

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you guys realize that you work for a business, not a non-profit, right?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, we're heading that way at least.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The military has an incentive program. But the NCOs and officers who come up with these ideas get a lot more than $500 or $1,500.

And if Zell continues this, I'll find him. He's giving a good forename a bad name.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Guarantee himself a job for however long he chose to work there. If company decided to cut him, file a lawsuit. If the contest is in writing, then he can claim that they went back on their company policy with not giving him the 10 percent reward.

Tribune opened the contest up to employees, promising 10 percent. He's entitled to 10 percent, whether it's $5 or $5 million.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wait till PDiddy and co. put Zell on the hook for $50 million-$100 million

Draft saved Draft deleted