1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Slashin' Sam

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 27, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Zell, that is.

From LA Observed:

"Partners," he says.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/03/zell_puts_up_a_suggestion.php

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think we would achieve a great moment in SportsJournalists.com history if somebody could post a password for the IdeaBank. I'm sure there are a lot of SportsJournalists.commers who would love to help Sam out.

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I love it. How many gazillionaire owners are this accessible to the people who work 50 rungs below him?

4. VJ

VJ Member

Wait, is someone suggesting this is a BAD thing?

At least Zell is letting employees' voices be heard. I bet if Singleton tried this the damn thing would fill up with death threats.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's super.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dear Sam:

Sell the fucking ballclub already.

Sincerely,

Armchair

7. captzulu

captzulu Member

Notice that the ideas that'll be highlighted on the front page are the top revenue-generating ones. Not that I'm so naive to think that those are bad, but it does pretty clearly show where Zell's priorities are. Otherwise, why not highlight the best reader-service ideas as well? The best ideas for retaining employees?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I agree that this is a good thing. Would Tony Ridder have tried something like this? Heaven forbid Gannett think about it. Shows you he's listening, at least.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe Gannett does have something pretty much exactly like that -- minus the crusty boss playing nice to the troops.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I noticed. And to add the disclaimer that "ideas should cost significantly less than the revenue they produce" is jackass-ish to me. Guess I'd scrap my idea to update any archaic computers or things that, you know, would make my area more efficient or productive. Must not make capital improvements!

There's also enough corporate-speak gobbledygook to choke a horse. In just one sentence: reviewing, analyzing, dramatically, probability, viability.

11. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I remember once when one of the Tribune papers ran a suggestion program like this, offering its employees a bonus based on 10 percent of the money their suggestions saved the paper.

It was a big success. Suggestions rolled in, many of them were adopted, and the company paid the 10 percent bonuses -- usually $50 or $100 or $200 range, something like that, since most of the suggestions were pretty basic.

Then a guy out in the pressroom came up with a way to save either $500,000 or $5 million a year. I forget the specific amount, but it was one or the other. A huge cost-saving procedure, and it was quickly put into place.

And the paper gave him a big, fat check for $500.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is a true story. The check was for $1,500.

Draft saved Draft deleted