1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from San Jose - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I can't find the original thread but some out there found this e-mail exchange interesting.
    What's the dude from Animal House? ALL IS WELL!

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wed 2/27/2008 10:57 PM
    To: Petersen, Deborah; &EDIT ALL
    Subject: Re: Brown Bag Postponed

Deb, you're correct to postpone but dammit, I mean darn it, we're gonna get thru this tough period and move on. We will!

We are gonna lose some fine colleagues thru no fault of their own. We must cut some jobs. I'm both proud of and sad about some managers who have come forward and will be leaving us. For the most part we are the lesser because of this and I tip my hat to them and others.

None of the staffers deserve to lose their job and yet we can't afford to keep everyone. But we all can promise to do our very best to make the best of what we have, to serve our readers even better and to goose along and help our ad folks. If we do that well we can keep more people and - I hope - even get some back. So for me it's never give up. Never guve up. Never give up!
    -Dave
    --------------------------
    Sent using BlackBerry

----- Original Message -----
    To: &EDIT ALL
    Sent: Wed Feb 27 19:34:48 2008
    Subject: Brown Bag Postponed

Everyone:
    As many of us are distracted by all that is happening around us, and saying goodbye to valued colleagues, I have decided to postpone the March 5 Brown Bag. The presenters are looking forward to rescheduling the brown bag, and the others we are planning.
    Hang in there.
    Deb

Deborah Petersen
    Enterprise Editor,

San Jose Mercury News
    750 Ridder Park Drive
    San Jose, CA 95190

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Re: More from San Jose

Hey, Dave: Repeat after me. You cannot serve readers better by cutting a newsroom in half.

Doesn't work.

No trabaja.

Il ne travaille pas.

Es arbeitet nicht.

And so on and so forth.

Jesus. The entire approach to American print journalism has become shoving fngers in one's ears and screaming aloud, "DO MORE WITH LESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Actually, it's "Do more with nothing."

4. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Yeah, it would be awkward to do the "brown bag" and then find out the enterprise editor was 86ed.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, on the bright side, bringing enough to share costs you one hell of a lot less.

Word I hear now is two major Florida papers cut a combined 100 or so folks in non-newsroom positions. Working on confirmation (though I'll bet it is quite solid) before I name. If anyone knows for sure, please post.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Aside from the obvious, two more things bother me.

You have the top editor of a major metro using "thru" in an e-mail to the newsroom.

What is this shit about helping the ad staff? Now I am not someone who views the advertising department as the enemy, my dad was one of them. But Butler should at least have a pretense of separation of church and state. And how do you think the ad salesmen are going to like Butler's notion that the newsroom needs to "goose" them? Can you imagine the outrage that would ensue in the newsroom if the ad director suggested to his people that they needed to "goose" the newsroom?

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

Good question.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe that's how they roll. Who are we to judge their lifestyles?

9. Mateo

Mateo Member

You still think this is about serving the readers?

10. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Member

Not in California, anyway.

11. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Fucking hell. I wonder how high the body count will go by day's end.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I'd go and sell ads myself if my job was on the block.

Draft saved Draft deleted