1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More From Our Uneducated Military

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Nov 6, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I never heard that story, either the claimed act or the claim itself, and I like to think I read a lot of newspapers and magazines, back to the 1980s. Either way, what the hell does that have to do with the actual topic of this post. He brought up Reagan, only to recount a very good Reagan quote about how much we should value the U.S. Marines. I think him bringing up the quote didn't meant he was trying to dredge up some controversy about where Reagan served in WWII, a controversy which, if it happened, would have gotten a lot more play in the news to have jogged my pretty decent memory.

In short, FB, you try to look for any opening to bash any Republican, even in a thread that started out by making no political statement other than our troops are brave, smart and resourceful.

But then again, you wish they would lose any war they're in.

2. Fenian - it is clear to everyone that no matter what quote I used to praise the brave Marines - you would have tried to turn it into sniping of someone else (like Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld or in this case Reagan). Maybe you are John Kerry?

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

To get this somewhat back on topic ...

I struggle with the Iraq situation. There are days when I think the right thing to do is stay and correct our unbelievable mistake. Then there are other days, when I read something like this and really think about what's happening to these guys, and all I want is for somebody to say, "That's it."

I don't know how you can profess love for the military and not absolutely HATE this administration for the awful position they've put these people in.

Honestly, I'd like to know how it's possible to be a military-supporting, troop-loving person and not wish a nasty death on this president and his "advisors."

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Sir, I don't even wish a nasty death on you for making such an ignorant statement!

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Maybe he doesn't want to see brave young people's lives pissed away in patriotic service of bad faith and geopolitical hypocrisy.

Before letting Reagan drop, here are the citations for a story you seem to have missed for the last two decades.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:iw7PFn-vv7wJ:www.nybooks.com/articles/916+reagan+death+camps&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:YU8kYOjb-McJ:nomoremister.blogspot.com/2004/08/so-i-guess-john-kerry-has-been-dining.html+reagan+death+camps&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Ri1hqsq0BGcJ:www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2003/0309.mendacity-index.html+reagan+death+camps&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:LeFSA8I0fJQJ:www.dailyhowler.com/dh061004.shtml+reagan+death+camps&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The soldiers aren't uneducated. The Commander-in-Chief and his underlings are another story.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

So because F_B is against the war he's against the troops and wishes they would lose (i.e. die)?

Thanks for stopping by again, Toby.

Edit: Jgmacg ends this one with a Tyson-in-88-like fury.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why are you trying to reason with a guy who cannot think?

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Hockey.....can all these libs join you as Canadian residents when a cold, hard fact is driven home tomorrow night?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm an American resident, you putz.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh damn. Another who should be in Canada.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Just because I don't march in lockstep with the thieves, liars, incompetents and sexual deviants that make up the GOP, that does not mean I hate this country.

Draft saved Draft deleted