1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MORE from Newport News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I sure as hell I didn't open the floodgates with my Hartford post. The Pipeline just got this. Hits close to home, of course. I've always raved about sports in that paper, have many friends among the few who remain. They bust serious ass to put out a good section. At some point, you simply cannot cut anymore.

they'll be more cuts at Newport News, another Trib paper, soon as well. Probably within the next month or 5-6 weeks. They've announced that there will be cuts, but the only timetable is 5-6 weeks. Not sure if anyone in sports will be affected. But probably.

If you want comparison to hartford, newport news has seven writers (including two columnists), seven editors (including desk chief/ass. editor) and one SE. There is also one weekend community writer. No part timers.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I posted this on the Trib thread but it got lost in the Chicago stuff.

Newport News got hit this week, too. Five out of the newsroom, one desk person in sports. They're going to a universal desk. I also believe they are now without an assistant sports editor - not laid off but reassigned perhaps to that universal desk.

It just never fucking stops.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good lord. That just flat-out blows.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is getting to the point where it's so depressing I almost can't stand to read it, anymore.

When I first got laid off, it was sort of like therapy.... realizing there were hundreds, maybe thousands, more in the same (sinking) boat. Now... well, it's just become like reading the casualty list in the first year of the Iraq war. Daily dose of depression.

Draft saved Draft deleted