1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mitchie started up his own charity? How sweet of him to take pity on fallen journalists.

National Association for Truth-Making Inc.?

Apologies for the jack, carry on.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Carole Leigh never had the first clue about what journalism is ... hopefully she'll better understand philanthropy.

How does Hutton keep falling into these positions? Is The Great Fabricator that strong a reference? ::)

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Any update on this situation?

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Layoffs will be announced on Friday. I've heard of at least two people taking the buyouts. There could be a few more. But nothing close to 22, so there will be a lot of pink slips. Not sure how many will hit sports, but the layoffs will hit every department, so probably at least 2-3 in sports. Hopefully they'll just freeze some of the jobs that have been recently vacated, so people don't have to lose their jobs.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I know of six people who are taking buyouts. I'm not going to name names, but only one in sports that I know. Photogs are going to take biggest hit, they're already lost two. Lots of people moving around to save jobs. It's a bad day and Friday is going to be even worse.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

A reference to the Romenesko post was made a few days ago here. It reverberated throughout many facets of jourmalism and the point was not lost on those who take leadership in our line of work. Brent Hopkins, our union steward, posted this response to the comments made by Singleton at the Newspaper Association of America conference. Hopkins is as noble a journalist as I have ever encountered and one of the best writers I have ever read. Ever word is true and it would be giving Singleton too much credit to say he drove Brent out of the business. Brent will be successful in any line of work he chooses. Singleton was lucky he chose journalism first.

(Note-- I wrote this a few days ago, slept on it, wondered if I should post it, then figured I might as well. While I appreciate Mr. Singleton's efforts to reduce our job losses, I thought he might want to know what it's really like at the properties his company's running into the ground-- BH)

I ran across post on HowardOwens.com yesterday, linked by Jim Romenesko. Owens, whom I'm told is a a respected Internet journalist, attended the Newspaper Association of America conference on the changing business and caught a presentation by our owner, Dean Singleton.

“If you read Romenesko every day and you hear our people in newsrooms whine — they whine and whine and whine wishing for the old days to come back," Singleton said. "Damn it, I wish the old days would come back, too, but wishing for it isn’t going to make it happen. You must be focused on the future.”

Now normally, I try to be respectful of Mr. Singleton, but with all the craziness in the air right now, I can't shut up. This is flat-out ridiculous and shows just how out of touch he is with his company.

Perhaps I shouldn't take this personally. Perhaps he meant some other paper. But, since he didn't qualify his statement, I'd like to respond, particularly to this follow-up comment:

“When we had to make cuts at one of our larger papers somebody in one of our unions put out a letter that said, ‘Well, we won’t be able to put out the same newspaper we have over the past 30 years.’ I said, ‘Precisely. Our readers don’t wnat the same newspaper we’ve been putting out over the past 30 years.’”

The same newspaper? We've desperately been trying to put out a new newspaper and a new Web site with every tool at our disposal, but we are constantly stymied by the company's refusal to make even basic investment in technology. We're well aware of the need for change and have gone out of our way to adapt and grow.

Long before the company proclaimed that it believed that online video would be the next big thing, we requested cameras and found ways to shoot, edit and post movies quickly. When requests for even basic gear got denied, we used our own personal equipment and asked for nothing in return.

This newsroom has embraced blogs and incorporated them into our lives. We post at night, on weekends, even while on vacation. But since the company chose a sub-par server, updating our sites frequently takes longer than it does to create the posts. Today, our readers were treated to blank pages because traffic overloaded the server once again. Our online advertising staff is so small, no one's been able to monetize the tremendous traffic our blogs generate, cutting us off from a key source of revenue for the future.

Rather than shrinking from the constant, Internet news cycle, we've aggressively adapted to it and made our Web site dynamic and interactive. Unfortunately, our Web software, a proprietary program unique to MediaNews, lags significantly between posting time and updating on the site. Just as having a paper come out late is unacceptable in the print world, we will never be able to win over readers and advertisers if our site lags 15-30 minutes behind the competition.

On two recent occasions, when we've needed it most, the site has failed us. During the Malibu fire in November, I came in specifically to update the Web, but found myself locked out and unable to do anything because of software problems. On election night, when we developed a comprehensive online plan to keep people updated with all the news we could gather, the traffic overwhelmed our servers. The information was there, as was the desire from readers, but we couldn't link them because we didn't have the proper infrastructure.

Mr. Singleton, the employees of this company constantly sacrifice because they believe in the product and believe in good journalism. We'd like the quality of a paper 30 years ago, true, but we're also realistic about the pressures of today and are trying our hardest to keep this place alive and vital. But unless you give us the tools to do so, we're like soldiers without rifles.

We realize the financial pinch you're in and have tried our hardest to help fight our way out of this mess, but until you offer us some assistance, we won't be able to put up much of a fight. We're all professionals and understand business is bad, but please don't insult our dedication and desire to do good work for our readers.

Sincerely,
    Brent Hopkins

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There is another great state-of-the-biz type of story. I used to work with this woman, not at the Daily News. Her husband was the outdoors editor of the Daily News. He fell off a boat on an overnight fishing trip (he didn't fish, he was there to cover it a fishing event) and was never found.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/02/daily_news_alumni_mourn_f.php

9. Just wondering in general and not specifically to the LADN -- if one department is so badly hit by buyouts, will they have to cut extra someplace else as well just to stop the bleeding (and hire someone to replace the voluntarily departed)? If half a sports copy desk takes a buyout offer, how's the next Sunday section getting produced? Would management tell someone they couldn't take the buyout?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Here's their response to that:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

By the way, if you lose your job, and thus your benefits, I believe you are entitled -- by federal law -- to 18 months of COBRA coverage as long as you make your payments on time each month.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that point, or if Lean Dean is actually offering to pay your first three months of COBRA coverage, but if that's not the case, than this is low-class bullshit disguised as high-class corporate concern.

Of course they're offering you COBRA coverage. It's the law, and it extends 18 months. Douchebag Award if they're actually trying to pull it off as anything else.

But correct me if I'm wrong here.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Another Singleton paper hammer falls.

http://laobserved.com/

This gets worse and worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted