1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from J. Todd Foster

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 17, 2010.

1. More from J. Todd Foster.
    Foster is the editor who took the WAPO to task for its story on the Bristol reporter who earned a Pulitzer.
    Foster is back. This time he is defending the paper's decision to name a juvy who urinated in public during a high school ballgame during the national anthem. The kid was making good on a $20 bet. He was not charged with a crime.

While I am often skeptical of anyone who initializes their first name and uses their middle, I agree with Foster. He makes a lot of good points. And I like his style, the "J. Todd" aside.

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/opinion/columnists/article/j._todd_foster_column_it_was_a_tough_call_but_paper_stands_by_it/46249/

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Obviously, the J stands for jacklass.

A juvenile pissing in public, no charges filed, and this assclown defends the decision to name him.
    Jackass (and attention whore) Todd Foster.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the kid was on the baseball team and did it in view of everyone, I can see naming him.

If he was just a spectator acting like a fool, I don't see why you would name him.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What disturbs me more than him putting the kid's name in the paper is mentioning the school superintendent's and the teacher's concern that the kid is now suicidal because his name was in the paper.

Fine, the paper decided to embarrass the kid by mentioning the incident. But to then write a column that, in the process of defending themselves, mention that the kid may have suicidal tendencies, that's horrible judgment. And piling on.

Now everyone is going to be looking at the kid, not only as a stupid kid who peed in front of everyone, but as a kid who has depression issues that probably should be a little more private than get publicized in the paper.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's a pretty good point, Baron. I had no problem with the kid's name running. But yeah, gotta be careful to defend the choice without going overboard.

6. NCGOLF14

NCGOLF14 New Member

Kid shouldn't have done it. When the kid did it, he should have been arrested for indecent exposure and/or exposing oneself to a minor (I'm assuming one was in the stands of a high school baseball game). This would have made it illegal for the paper to put the kids name in the paper and there would be no story now. End of story.

While I agree with naming him the first time, the column definitely is piling on.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The column also seems to drip with a holier-than-thou attitude.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

As did the previous Jackass Todd Foster column posted here.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Please don't mention my name Jackass Todd Foster in the same post. That's just not right.
    The guy is an idiot. He's been known to send blackberry emails to people to people who disagree with him and his logic.
    Spnited gets kudos for aptly naming him.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. This thread, like everything, is all about you, drip.

Good point, Baron, about him quoting the school superintendent saying the kid is suicidal. If they hadn't done anything wrong by naming the kid and what he did, in his explanation he did do something wrong. If the kid really is suicidal, he needlessly aired it to the public -- on heresay, nonetheless. So much for his "public/private" bullshit explanation.

11. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Um...what?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Geez, Ragu. Drip makes a feeble joke and you get all anal about it? Lighten up, dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted