1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MORE from Hartford

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I need to know a little more about the specifics here. They had to be sued by CURRENT employees? Or by people who had buyouts and got stiffed? If it's the former, every employee should have left the building and never come back.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Every employee or just every employee who didn't get paid?

I don't see much chance of every employee doing much of anything together anymore. Everyone is rightfully scared shitless for his own job and paycheck.

Oh, wait, maybe we'll see another byline strike someday somewhere. That's always powerful.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Heard from a reasonable source that "this" is supposed to happen within the week. Hope I'm wrong. Hope.

4. hankschu

hankschu Member

Regarding the ratio, you have to think in modern terms. At our shop, one of our "editors" is an artist who creates the graphics and fancy layouts that are part of our redesigned paper. Another "editor" is in charge of getting our stories and wire copy on the web site.

I don't know that nine for nine is a good ratio in any case, but nowadays we are past the simple layout, wires, rim and slot makeup on a copydesk.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm a little surprised that when the bean counters start mandating cuts, they don't start with the guys making the most money. I'm no Harvard economist, but why can two guys making 30K instead of one guy making 60K??

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Better yet, can themselves, since they're making even more than 60K. Yeah, that's the ticket!

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well, the theory is right, but those are two benefits packages instead of one, in that scenario.

8. beanpole

beanpole Member

Meetings are starting today with management, who will be announcing "a smaller newspaper." Don't know if that means less people, smaller Web size, fewer sections, less newshole or all of the above.

Staffers there say the managing editor told employees last week that nobody's job was safe.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

What about the ME's job?

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

M.E.'s have been cut at a pretty fast clip, too.

Fort Lauderdale ...... Newsday .......... Many others I'm sure.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Courant to cut 100, not sure about sports:

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-web-courantcuts0225,0,7696606.story

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Well, shit I didn't see the other thread resuscitated.

Draft saved Draft deleted