1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MORE from Hartford

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cripes. Does it ever end? From The Pipeline:

Cuts out of Hartford again, says a buddy of mine who works there. He said no idea how many, when, where, etc., but it seems to follow in the pattern of the Tribune and LA.

He said it's the fourth round of cuts in the past two years, starting with the buyout of two writers and two copy editors in sports in June '07.

There are four editors, nine writers, nine on the desk and four part-timers there in sports.
  2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Truly not picking on anyone or painting target on any particular job, but how does that ratio strike you:

Four editors (presumably managers of some sort) for nine writers, nine copy editors and four part-timers.

A school kid in a class of 22 gets only one teacher. Is Courant sports' breakdown typical or is it the result of lost staff positions that have left an imbalance near the top of the department?

Just wondering.
  3. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

I just thought the same thing as Joe.

Nine copy editors? Nine writers?

I assume one of those is an agate guy. Maybe some others are weekend-only.

Industry cutbacks suck. That ratio does sound crazy, though.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You've got it, Joe.

Once things get down to the nitty-gritty, and there are few cuts to make, I'd think that pecking order starts to matter more than ever.

As it should, probably. Hopefully, it is one of the "perks" and pluses of having advanced a bit over the course of a career.

Remember, though, that "editor" is an official title, something on paper. But, with as many cutbacks as have been going on, those "editors" are probably doing some other things besides just supervising, managing or editing copy.

On a staff that small, they may now be writing, or blogging, or posting Web stuff, or doing clerical or agate work, for that matter.

Rather than lose their jobs, there gets to be a step-down system, where those lower in the official pecking order of titles become the ones tapped on the shoulder, and those in higher positions start doing what previously would have been an underling's work.

It makes it so the job/work may be safe, but not necessarily the (lesser-titled) person doing it.

And, unless they're stripped of their title and officially put into a lower classification that's actually more in line with the new work, those who have taken over the work will remain, officially, "editors." That's their title.

Not saying that's the case here, but I've seen this happen when there gets to be an as-long-as-it-ain't-me thing going on in terms of cuts, particularly at big-corporation outlets.
  5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was just going to say this in a shorter way. I'm certain those four "editors" are doing a lot more than just sitting around dreaming up ideas. I'll bet there's a lot of hands-on work being done by those people.
  6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That would be a departure from other properties.
  7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Active Member

Hartford has been dead for a while. The product they put out even 4-5 years ago pales in comparison to now. The current redesign sucks, no local news at all and they obliterated most coverage of HS sports. Used to be the paper of record for the state, but I don't know who that is now. They kept a couple of big name writers like Jon Lender (who broke much of the stuff during the Rowland scandal), but columnists had to go to court recently to get paid. Tribune ran it into the ground.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What? Had to go to court to get PAID?
  9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe the city with the oldest continually operated newspaper will be the first without one.

Rot in hell, Sam.
  10. accguy

accguy Member

One thing to consider Joe is that I would guess at least one of those "editors" is the guy/gal who runs the desk at night and is essentially the slot.
  11. Editude

Editude Active Member

This is why, for now, I don't mind being a worker bee as opposed to a manager of worker bees. It does seem that the thinkers will be more vulnerable moving forward than the doers.
  12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Yeah but the counters still get to kick both their asses.
Draft saved Draft deleted