1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Daytona Beach ... 39 laid off (14 total newsside incl. 2 sports)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Re: More from Daytona Beach ... second round of 5-day furloughs

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Totally, totally understand where you're coming from, Colton. But this is EXACTLY what they want from you.

As much as possible, you have to allow the product to suffer. They want to get by with two-thirds of the resources? Then they get two-thirds of the product.

3. duckncover

duckncover Member

Have to agree here. I know it's tough to pull back like that, but if that's how they want to run their business then you have to give them what they want.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Colton, if they expect to get the same amount of work out of 2 people as they would out of 3, they're even nuttier than I expected. It's business, and these business suits get what they pay for.

I DO understand where you are coming from. You're probably a good guy who takes pride in his work. But none of that seems to matter these days. Working hard and doing good work doesn't get you promoted, it doesn't get you a raise, it doesn't get you job security. It MIGHT get you a plaque. Worth it? You decide.

My last shop recently had a guy resign to get married and move. So, now in 12 months, they've gone from 5 full-timers to three. And no word on whether or not they will replace him, either.

Are they going to get the same product as before? Shit, no. You want a better product? Buck up and hire someone, dip shit! It's not like there's a shortage of qualified candidates, some of whom would even work at below market wages.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Seriously, mate, these management types will run you into the ground to the extent that you allow them to.

They want you to get as much done with as few people as possible. show them you can get as much done with less people and I suspect you will be given the opportunity to do just that ..... on a permanent basis.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Update time ...

According to the coconut telegraph¹, the sale to Wicks/Heartland is pretty much dead with no other buyers on the horizon.

Also ... here's a little related reading: http://tinyurl.com/n6yw7k

¹Hey, Moddy has the Pipeline and I have the coconut telegraph. I'm surprised I still know anybody who's still working at Peyton Place.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Re: More from Daytona Beach ... Sale? What sale? Apparently, it's off.

The deskslave tin-can-on-a-string reports a handful of buyers remain active, and that at least one may well be being used to put pressure on Wicks. If that one were, in fact, to buy the paper, suffice it to say the paper, and its employees, would be in some serious shit.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Hell, if Wicks/Heartland bought the News-Journal the paper and its employees would be in some serious shit.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The tin-can-on-a-string reports that employees got an e-mail today indicating that a sale has gone to the court for approval. The tin can suggests that it's not Wicks, but rather the other firm I mentioned. Not good. Not. Good.

10. Re: More from Daytona Beach ... Sale? What sale? Apparently, it's off.

Can you share who, Desk? We won't tell, honest. ;)

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Knowing the company as I do, I don't want to throw the name out there for fear it would wend its way back to the person from whom the information has come. It is a company run by small, vindictive, nasty people.

But if you really want to know, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you. :D

12. 2muchcoffeeman

<blockquote>September 2009

TO: NEWS-JOURNAL, PENNYSAVER AND COMPLETE PHONE BOOK PEOPLE

SUBJECT: PENDING SALE OF THE BUSINESS

Folks:

Last week we reached a preliminary agreement to sell the publishing business.

The buyers are not the people with whom we had been negotiating for many months. As you are aware, deals can fall apart before they are consummated, so I am not in position to identify the new buyers for you at this time, but you should know that both buyer and seller are highly motivated to quickly reach a final sale agreement that I can present to Judge Antoon for his approval.

Representatives from the buyer group will visit the News-Journal and Pennysaver buildings this week to begin their "due diligence" process.</blockquote>

Draft saved Draft deleted