1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More for W to ignore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2042072.ece

“I tried to avoid this war,” Powell said at the Aspen Ideas Festival in Colorado. “I took him through the consequences of going into an Arab country and becoming the occupiers.”

Powell has become increasingly outspoken about the level of violence in Iraq, which he believes is in a state of civil war. “The civil war will ultimately be resolved by a test of arms,” he said. “It’s not going to be pretty to watch, but I don’t know any way to avoid it. It is happening now.”

He added: “It is not a civil war that can be put down or solved by the armed forces of the United States.” All the military could do, Powell suggested, was put “a heavier lid on this pot of boiling sectarian stew”.

Powell rightly labled genocide in Darfur several years ago. W just now says we won't turn a blind eye but ... won't help.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Day late, meet dollar short.

That's what you should have told the UN security council, Mr. Powell.

You can wring your hands all you want; the blood is not coming off them.

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Joe,

He couldn't wring his hands, he was holding a vile of anthrax! ::)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vial -- container
    Vile -- foul, disgusting....

Which one did you mean, or both?

5. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Nice catch Slappy! Either works regarding this administration.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I respect Powell, but I gotta agree with you guys.
    He had no problem talking to the UN in very specific terms.

7. Fuck...you...Colin.
    One press conference at the right time and the whole sorry mess comes tumbling down.
    Day late and 3500 lives short.

8. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Obviously, Colin Powell hates America.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I look forward to the day when America hates Colin Powell, one of the biggest frauds in American history.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Really, you don't want an ex-general at the very top, these days. Yes, George W worked out okay. But Grant was far from stupid, but post-Civil War was scandal a day . . . and Ike was damn lucky he served when he did.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

"Germans?" "Shhh. He's on a roll."

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I've got a little more sympathy for Powell than I do for Tenet (just because the former seemed to put up a little bit of a fight against the neocons), but not much more. They had their chance to take a stand the way Shinseki did, and weren't willing to put their balls on the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted