1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More ESPN & more alleged stealing stuff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gonna Buy me a Dog, Jul 26, 2012.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Poynter responds: http://espn.go.com/blog/poynterreview/post/_/id/420/wording-attribution-should-be-sacrosanct

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hoppes is probably pasting that into his next column right now.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Interesting that there is no mention of Hoppes in that column.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Lip service and the inclusion of the sentence, "From there, ESPN's critics picked it up" is condescending.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The six comments at the end of the article are much more succinct than what Poynter actually wrote.

The first commenter nailed it:
    Or....

ESPN could just credit the place they get their information because someone actually did the work to find out the information they use.

6. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I was going to comment on ESPN's attempt at an explanation, relayed to us via BDC, but I could never top flex. That's beautiful.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Agreed.

Hey all, not long after I signed up for SportsJournalists.com, I needed an explanation on the "15-minutes-from-Lake Tahoe" thing, and a couple of folks obliged. Now I need another explanation: What's the deal with the Hoppes references?

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

bpoin:

there was a thread recently about Hoppes and his "fascination" with Wikipedia. It should still here here.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The whole "ESPN's critics" mindset is just unbalanced. They aren't ESPN's critics, they're everyone's critics. "ESPN's critics" sounds better for ESPN than "People with higher ethical standards" does. I don't know that it sounds better for a supposed ombudsman.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And yet again..

http://deadspin.com/5934914/for-the-second-time-in-three-weeks-espn-plagiarizes-another-reporters-work

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

They inadvertently did it again! How inadvertent!

12. turski7

turski7 Member

They really do have all the fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted