1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More ESPN & more alleged stealing stuff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gonna Buy me a Dog, Jul 26, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's pretty bad. And I can guess what the excuse will be, because it's been trotted out before in similar circumstances: He had copied it for the info as he wrote his own lead, and inadvertently used the source copy instead. Weak.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I once accused a writer at a competing paper of plagiarism with copy worse than that. The editor of the competing paper said that he would do nothing because it didn't involve quotes. Karma's a bitch; the writer's in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For what did you frame him?

4. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Well, now that I'm part of the "American public", with my journalism career well behind me, I could tell you that I, for one, don't care in the least. I am just a sports fan now, and I will keep on watching SportsCenter while ESPN keeps raking in its bazillions. I'll bet my house that my view is shared by the overwhelming majority.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Probably right. I only click on ESPN when there are games being televised and PTI. The other stuff is just white noise to me.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Is this the prison in Climax, Ga.?

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i can't remember the last time i watched anything other than a game on ESPN. When I'm flipping channels Skip Bayless is always yelling at somebody.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And here you go:

From ESPN's PR dept, via Deadspin:

The story was unfolding during the live SportsCenter and the RealGM report was cut and inadvertently pasted by someone else into the anchor's script. We have apologized to the writer and are taking steps so it won't happen again.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

ESPN: Too Big To Fail, Too Small To Admit It.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the retraction read "We have apologized to the writer and are taking steps to it won't happen again, again, again, again and again." ???

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

These last two...

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, the source copy wasn't read word for word... so someone had opportunity to look at it first

Draft saved Draft deleted