1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

more espn hatred...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Jul 24, 2006.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Because that's what they do.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

FUCK DJ STUEY! FUCK DJ STUEY! FUCK DJ STUEY! FUCK DJ STUEY!

Ms. Slappy and I are lying down last night and British Open highlights come on.. she listens for about a minute and says "who is that ASSHOLE?"
    Tiger woods, I reply.
    "Not him, the guy talking."
    That would be Stuart Scott, and I proceeded to give her the 15-second version of him, ending with "I'm surprised he hasn't said 'as cool as the other side of the pillow yet.'"
    Sho nuff.... 10 seconds later

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I have to see another "My Wish" I'm going to fucking puke...

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm sure the folks at the Make a Wish Foundation feel the same way.

5. Mizzougrad96

Don't get me wrong... I'm glad they do it. I just don't want to have to watch it every single night... Chris Connelly annoys the shit out of me...

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

i actually liked the my wish segments, it goes to show that the athletes are willing to take a few minutes out of their lives for kids who they dont know. i thought the whole thing was done well, with the exception of chris connely giving a play by play. i think they should have just shown the clips and let them speak for themselves.

switching topics, ESPN has beat the whole "J-Mac" thing to death, and i agree with whoever said it that this kid is being completely taken advantage of for ratings. he was on oprah and all over ESPN and now a movie is being made after his life. i think its great that they are trying to get the word out about austistic, but whats going to happen two years from now when no one remembers his name (or his nickname, for that matter) and hes looking around wondering why hes no longer invited to the ESPYs. toying with the emotions of a 17 year old kid for ratings....now thats solid.

7. Mizzougrad96

No... It goes to show that ESPN will go to any lengths to fill time before football season begins...

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Couldn't agree more. It's great that they do it, but do they have to run them over and over again? I've seen the kid with Donovan McNabb no fewer than six times. Makes me think that part of the motivation for doing them was to have content they could use again and again during the slow summer months.

9. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

The "My Wish" thing is essentially this summer's ratings gimick. Just like it was with the 50 states in 50 days last summer and the "old school" anchors on Sportshitter two years ago.

I'm sure next summer it will be something like the greatest boo-yahs of all-time or whatever.

10. The "My Wish"segments show that ESPN is more than willing to contribute to the community when the cameras are rolling and Chris Connelly talks over slow, sappy music.

11. Mizzougrad96

I just don't want to have to see another ESPN reporter go to an athlete and say something like...

"What are your thoughts on Timmy?"

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

It's like "Jerry's Kids" meets "SportsCenter". I think the intent is nice, but I watched part of one and kind of felt like a Mitch Albom column was unfolding before my eyes.
    I've gone out of my way not to watch any more of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted