1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Doug Glanville, this time on Manny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CentralIllinoisan, May 11, 2009.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/opinion/10glanville-manny.html

Some good stuff here ... especially this great excerpt:

"... the beauty of knowing that what you gave of yourself was authentic, and that anything that happened — successes, failures — was real. ... There’s power in knowing your capabilities, however imperfect, whatever odds you are up against. You get back a result you can trust."

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Why does the Times let this guy pull out his crayons so regularly? Is it the Ivy League pedigree?

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hard time understanding the hate for Glanville.

Why is his message of authenticity denounced? His mother's message was a powerful one that more people should pass along yet somehow fail to do so.

We as a society need to embrace the non-users not ostracize them.

4. Herbert Anchovy

The Times would be better served to do more actual reporting on the issue and less commentary -- God knows we already have the opinions out the ass. How many writers are out of work while Doug Glanville gets to play Marcus Aurelius -- and badly, I might add. Barber performing a tonsillectomy, etc.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'd much rather read Glanville's stuff than Bill Rhoden's.

6. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Yeah. Who wants to read the opinion of former major leaguer anyway? What possible perspective could HE have on steroids anyway? And yeah, I'm sure the Ivy League pedigree helps.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

why the disdain for glanville?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

People are still pissed about his low OBP.

9. Actually, I'm not impressed with him because his point on "authenticity" is lame and obvious and not one in which I am remotely interested, and that would be the case wherever he went to school.

And this passage --
    "Sure, your bank account is growing, your assault on the record books is continuing. But maybe your marriage is falling apart and your confidence in who you were without the red pill is so in question that you can’t go a day without popping another one. Everyone who cared about you has evaporated from your life, or become an accessory to your self-destruction. But on the outside it looks great — you have the great contract, the just-add-water friends, and the new girlfriend who was in Maxim 15 times."

...is pure rot. Or maybe none of that stuff happens and you're happy as a clam. Or maybe you stay "authentic" and your marriage craters anyway. What is this swill?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You can quibble (and I do) with some of the things Doug writes but, for the most part, he does an outstanding job providing a pretty honest inside viewpoint of a very smart and decent guy who was around the game for a long time in a leadership role.

He's entitled to his opinion and Tebow knows it's usually more informed than the "think of the children" crap most of the jackass columnists are writing about the issue.

FYI, I believe he got connected to the Times by Alan Schwarz, who went to the University of Pennsylvania at the same time.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Jim Rome gets an opinion and Glanville doesn't? We're just talking about an occasional op-ed piece here, unless I'm mistaken.

I don't see the harm, and I think the guy can write.

12. Herbert Anchovy

William Hung thought he could sing.

The copy has been scrubbed up and dressed to the nines, in purples and mauves. It reads that way in parts.

I don't think it's saying anything. JMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted