1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More DMN updates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Sep 14, 2006.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The world.

2. his mommy

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For giving it up to Clubber?

4. this is good advice...I know exactly how that "fair-haired" shit works under Yates.

Yates is such a fuck...he should step down and take early retirement...but the guy's a coward. DMN would do well to bring back Nels Jensen or promote Jeff Miller. Mike Hashimoto would fit the bill as well, fair people and good managers/motivators. Something Yates sorely missed many moons ago.

5. good laugh...thanks.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Didn't we have a discussion a year ago or so about possible plagiarism and Whitmire's name on an AP story? I know somebody said it was probably a copy editor typing the wrong hot key, but I seem to remember it not being the first time something along those lines had happened.

I don't know Whitmire, so I'm just asking.

7. Remember now, with the brillant mind of Yates, preps are going to be the No. 2 beat at the Morning News, behind the Cowboys. Yates wants the preps to be the showcase for the sports section.

8. If there was anything to that, the DMN suits would have thrown him under the bus then and there as a show trial.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Yates and DMN sports are just following the word of the consultants (and their $10 million fee) that told them Cowboys No. 1, Preps No. 2, nobody gives a shit No. 3.
    The year Jason White won the Heisman, DMN didn't send Whitmire to NY, but his story wound up with a New York dateline. Editing mistake (they said).
    When Oklahoma State changed ADs, Whitmire's story had a Stillwater dateline even though he didn't go there. Editing mistake (they said).

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I disagree. We all saw the black eye the Times took with Jayson Blair. I think (if that were true, and that's a big if) that the DMN suits would've made every effort to sweep it under the rug to save face. A "show trial" would've had the opposite effect of calling into question SportsDay's credibility.

You can cut the piss out of staff and pages, but the bottom line is credibility is still the coin of the realm in this biz. That is why it'll be a little while before we see another Blair publicly.

Honesty may be the best policy, but it's bad business.

</cynical bastard>

11. Actually the consultants did not recommend preps No. 2. Recommended emphasis on local coverage, meaning the pro teams and colleges, and had preps down the list because of the diverse interest in each high school and not an overall interest from readers in preps in general.

12. this makes a lot more sense...in fact, there may be more interest in golf that preps bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted