1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More DMN updates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Sep 14, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No, that's just wrong! It has nothing to do with that unfortunate, minor bookkeeping error.

Newspapers everywhere HAVE to cut jobs! It's the economy!

Of course, even if it recovers, there is still a LOT of dinero to recover from all these down years. We'll have to keep working leaner and meaner for the foreseeable future.

As long as "we" keep tightening our belts, we can keep putting out a profitable product, even if it's somewhat lighter on news, enterprise and sports. Our readers can get all of those things on the Internet, you know. [/industryspindoctor]

2. Compounding the problem was a series of questionable decisions by management to spend exorbitant amounts of capital on projects that blew up in their face: Arlington, Collin County, Cue cats, TXCN. Had the responsible suits not been family, they would have been shown the door. Instead, they were able to blame the rank and file for not making their bad decisions work.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They rolled the ball out onto the court and provided the court. It's up to the players to make the system work. [/industryspindoctor]

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, Dye, you're good at this. Did you run the last paper I worked for?

5. zman82

zman82 Member

cue cats? wasn't that a late 90s thing? either way,i'd hate to be losing my job over some BS like that.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

My advice to students wanting to get into journalism is get a business degree.

Secondly, fuck that publisher.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Moddy Pipeline:

Jacques Taylor (Cowboys beat reporter at the Dallas Morning News) was promoted to columnist at the DMN.

8. boots

boots New Member

I like the fucking idea but seriously, I firmly would not recommend THIS business to anyone. We are going in the way of the telegram. We're not needed anymore.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, boots, when newspapers figure out how to make money on the Net and pull their paper products (if that happens), reporters and copy editors will be needed all the same, and perhaps even more copy editors, since you're talking an infinite breaking news cycle. So journalism is still worthy to go into if it's in you. Maybe not as a designer, tho; not sure how that discipline will transfer to the Net.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

That Maroney email is disgusting.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That sound you hear is Dyepack chortling.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Fraley's wife Pam Maples, who directed investigative reporting at DMN, is new M.E. at St. Louis Post-dispatch. Fraley will do freelance work out of St. Louis, according to Post Dispatch announcement.

Draft saved Draft deleted