1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More DMN updates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Sep 14, 2006.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

LoneStar, $60K is well above a "living wage" in that market and you know it. I would (with a great deal of knowledge about the area) put the market price of a quality experienced copy editor at between $40K-$50K. Of course many are making more than that, but then isn't that part of the author's point?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Topics 1 and 2 have already been beaten into the ground by Galloway

Topic 3 isn't bizarre at all. As my old friend kleeda mentioned, lots of Northern transplants live in DFW, and they bring their allegiances. You should have seen Texas Stadium the last time the Steelers came in. Lots of black and gold.

And the fact is that except for the Cowboys, DFW is not a very good sports town. Fans show up, but they come to Rangers games to picnic and to Mavericks and Stars games to see and be seen. The only die hard fans in town are Cowboys fans. Which is why, when the Yankees -- a team with a huge national fan base -- are in town, all their fans come at the expense of the less devout Rangers fans. It's the same reason there are more Cowboys fans than Cardinals fans in the stands for games at Arizona. The locals don't care (and those who do were Cowboys fans before there was a team in AZ) and the Cowboys have a devoted national fan base.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

OK, here's a chart that shows how advertising has gone nationally since 1984. Even in 1984, classified revenue was about a third of the total, as I said earlier. So while a nice source of revenue, it's always been dwarfed by display:

http://www.stateofthenewsmedia.org/2006/chartland.asp?id=182&ct=line&dir=&sort=&col1_box=1&col2_box=1&col3_box=1&col4_box=1

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I went to one of the Yankees games and even as a Yankees fan I was pretty shocked at how many of them there were. I used to live in Seattle and even when the Mariners sucked and the Yankees were good it wasn't the same breakdown as in Arlington. Of course one theory I had is since the Yankees only come to the state of Texas once or twice, their fans may be more inclined to travel to see them play. There aren't a lot of AL stadiums near Texas, especially if you live in West Texas.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There's not a lot of anything nearby if you live in West Texas.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

OK, great. You found numbers. The real argument is over what exactly "carrying the freight' means. Admittedly it is not the largest percentage of a newspaper's revenue, but it certainly appears it could be No. 2 on the list. And based on the chart you showed, a source of revenue that is a little more volatile than Retail. That said, anything that makes up 33 percent of advertising revenue is certainly going to be seen as critical. What the numbersdon't tell us (and the author argues) is how much does it cost a paper to run that classified department?

Your arguments are misleading in several areas, however. Page count for Classifieds vs. Retail doesn't add up in 1-to-1 numbers. A sold out Classified page draws more money than a full-page retail ad. If that were not true (and I know it is true) when there wouldn't be recent years where the difference in revenue from Retail over Classifieds was as narrow as 5 percent.

Anyway, Frank, I think we agree on most things and definitely not trying to pick a fight. But I think the persuasiveness of the author's argument is not dimmed much by his "carry the freight" comment.

The DMN is a dimished product and perhaps a failing business model. They were the big bully on the block, but what does the bully do when there's no one left to push around? In the case of Belo, it looks like they long for the Good Old Days and fail to adapt to a changing market.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oil and mesquite and more oil.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Well, in the chart, display would encompass "retail" and "general," so it was never quite that close. And the chart deals in dollars, not page counts. I did acknowledge earlier that you make more money per page on classified, but then it costs a bit more to produce because you need a crew of people handling the phones.

My dad ran a classifieds department for years, I know how it works almost as well as I know how newsrooms work -- I grew up listening to it. Primarily, the bulk of the classified revenue comes from real estate agents and car dealers, although on major metros employment ads are a huge factor, too. My dad didn't spend his days watching the phone room, he had an assistant for that. He spent his days selling to Realtors and car dealers. They're basically display ads that run in the classified section, but they are counted as classified. Legals also are counted as classified and are the most profitable form of advertising there is because local governments are required by law to buy them :) -- and are pretty much exempt from changing market conditions. So while craigslist is hurting us a bit with private-party agate ads, the real source of our classifieds trouble is that the auto industry is struggling. I think automotive advertising is down by like 14 percent in newspapers this year.

A diminished product, yes. A failing business model, I don't think so. I read that they're still at a 20 percent profit margin but were once in the 30s. You know, it's a mature market now, not the 1980s boomtown it once was. It's unrealistic to expect the paper to perform the way it used to. A lot of it is beyond the control of the people running things.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

And sand.

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I should clarify my "failing business model" comment. It is only failing in the context of the ridiculous expectations of newspaper owwership/stock holders. And I'm pulling for the DMN. I read it every day for 28 years. And of the (at-times) four DFW papers I read most every day, it was the one I read first.

11. That's good for shareholders to know...

12. Frank_Ridgeway

What shareholders think and what we understand are two different things. Do you get off on being a complete douche?

Draft saved Draft deleted