1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

more dmn troubles?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Aug 27, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

came across this while doing some research. it's from the city of mesquite's (a suburb of about 125,000 in dallas county) city web site. while it's not the dmn itself but a couple of the niche publications, what does it say for a paper when a suburb has to get involved because people don't want the "litter?"

Newspaper Deliveries cause complaints

The City of Mesquite is working with The Dallas Morning News to curtail complaints regarding the distribution of its papers in the community.

In August the City received a sudden increase of calls regarding the distribution of Al Dia in certain neighborhoods from people who were concerned about the papers turning into litter. During the first week in August The Dallas Morning News increased its distribution of Al Dia in Mesquite from 1,000 to 10,000 homes located in the 75149, 75150 and 75180 zip codes. In addition, on August 27, The DMN also started distributing 5,000 copies of a paper called Briefing in the 75150 zip code.

The City has passed on community concerns regarding the distribution process, and The Dallas Morning News has been very responsive and says it will address problems as quickly as possible.

Al Dia is a publication targeted for Spanish speaking households, while Briefing is targeted for working families who have little time to pick up a full newspaper. The papers are being distributed for free in select neighborhoods, but there is an opt-out system if you do not wish to receive a copy. The customer service number for Al Dia is 469-977-3747, and the customer service number for Briefing is 214-977-8333. You can call these numbers to cancel delivery or register complaints. You can also call it to inquire about delivery.

2. Not surprised. Mesquite has a few redneck pockets.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

that's really not that accurate. want rednecks? go to forney, crandall, terrell, etc.

4. Well, I'm sure a few of them haven't absconded to Kaufman County just yet.

5. KG

KG Active Member

In my area, the free papers are often thrown around without rhyme or reason. It's a miracle to see a whole street with the papers actually in the driveways. I don't blame people for complaining about this.

What I hate is that I live of a main driveway that leads to my driveway, as well as those of two other houses. I live at the beginning of it, so I'm sure you can guess who has to deal with all the crap (free papers, homemade ads about every service you can think of, etc.) thrown in or near the driveway.

As for the free paper, which is distributed by the AJC, I finally nipped the problem in the bud by making three separate calls. I opted out on behalf of my neighbors who refused to pick the papers up from under their mailbox (at the top of the driveway).

These things are not just a nuisance. When it rains hard, they end up making their way to the street gutters. Then they can accumulate and cause problems in the sewers.

Considering the description of the areas, I know this isn't financially feasible, but some neighborhoods that won't allow driveway delivery have special boxes (not the paper tubes) put in central locations of the neighborhood where people come to pick their papers up. It's kind of like the mailboxes in apartment complexes.

6. Worst thing about those freebie newspapers is they pile up when you're away. We were getting 3 or 4 weekly in our neighborhood in the 'burbs, which was an attractive zip code. You can stop your newspaper delivery and mail when you're on vacation, but those !@#$%^&* freebies are an open invitation to vandals and burglars.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was surprised (but then again, I wasn't) to learn this week that Quick has quietly and magically become a weekly.

Strug-gal-ling, buddy.

8. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

That "Quick" thing was a joke. From its instigation, it was hideous. Some wheezy slobs at that place got their permanent seat licenses out of that disaster, though. Not naming names.

As for that stuff about free rags thrown onto our driveways, I always wondered why they could do that. I dropped a subscription two years ago, because the particular paper has no writers who could write a bus schedule, and I still get the crud thown on my private property!!!

Where is this Mesquite place?? I'm moving there? What are home prices??

Draft saved Draft deleted