1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cutting -- Detroit Free Press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good luck to you fredman. Hope you keep your job.

2. All excellent points. I have not had to look for work. I'm 54, but I can taste a change is near. And a free year at 56 is tempting -- and also scary, yes. I was laid off years ago, during the recession of the late 1980s, and was lucky to find work through some very nice contacts. But, god, that was, what, 25 years ago already. I was not yet 30.

I look at all of the wonderful people in journalism today and wish many of them good luck in finding happiness. I've lost a couple friends -- well, three -- who died and I can damn well tell you that the work in our field killed them.

Why would anyone continue in this field, working crappy hours for crappy pay and putting their health on the line. Just isn't worth it. Take the free money for a year and reinvent your life with the vigor you never knew you could muster.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Great advice. I continue to believe that journalists possess many skills not found in a lot of people in the work world. Once companies start figuring that out, I think more of them will be finding the door.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Headline in today's Freep: Story was on the Sikh shooting in Milwaukee.

We may never no why he attacked

It's since been cleaned up online, but it did make it into a pretty good number of papers. Bought the Freep in a Detroit suburb mid to late morning and the error was there.

Link to the story with cleaned up head: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012308090191

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Detroit cuts always seem to be a precursor for Gannett cuts.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Deadline Detroit on the buyouts/layoffs

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/1873/can_the_free_press_survive_the_mass_exodus_of_experience_and_talent

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They were offering a year's salary and health coverage? Damn, that's a nice severance.

Draft saved Draft deleted