1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts in Raleigh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1HPGrad, Jan 18, 2011.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Publisher announced 20 cuts today. http://blogs.newsobserver.com/business/no-to-cut-20-jobs
    No indication of impact on Charlotte, Columbia, Miami, other McClatchy outfits.

2. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

I'm waiting for this conversation:

PUBLISHER: And you'll need to cut 12 people from your sports department.

EDITOR: We only have 10.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Hearing that six of those cuts came in the newsroom ... don't know how it breaks down between the different departments ...

4. News & Observer announced Thursday that all employees must take a furlough week between Aug. 8 and Oct. 30.

This came one day after the Sports copy desk closed down, the first wave of the transfer of copy editing and design functions to Charlotte.

I'm betting McClatchy would try to figure out how to dock severance pay for a furlough week.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

McClatchy getting ready to shut down any more copy desks? I'm wondering about logical combinations ... not that anything has to be logical.

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Then go to news side, reassign two reporters to your department and cut them, too.
    or
    Cut yourself three times

Draft saved Draft deleted