1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HackyMcHack, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I almost hate saying this, but I didn't mind the line about trying to eliminate managers and keep reporters. Most of us work in offices with way too many managers anyway.
    Still, sorry about what the people in the ATL are going through. Best of luck.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Two quick thoughts:

1. This sucks.

2. They STILL have over 300 folks working somewhere in editorial??!! What, do they have like 30 news reporters in the building and 30 bureaus in outlying areas, and a sports staff of 50? What do all those people do?

Sorry to be the spoilsport, but 320 folks even in a large-metro paper seems a bit bloated, previous cuts nothwithstanding.

Still, I wish all the best for those being laid off/bought out. They got any bonuses in play down there for the execs?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Easier said than done, sometimes, I'm afraid

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

As I tell my wife (also a reporter) every time she freaks out about the idea of us going back to school: I didn't say it was easy. I said it was necessary.

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Damn, if you think that's bloated, you <i>really</i> would have thought the place was bursting at the seams a couple of years ago. Keep in mind, that 320 includes every single reporter, editor and copy editor for one of the top 20 circulation papers in the country (or, at least, it was ... not sure about now). I don't think the number is at all out of line with the others, though it's possible I'm wrong about that.

They have no bureaus anymore, for the record. I'd say they've got more than 30 news reporters, counting the ones at the Capitol, the ones who cover the 'burb counties, courts, education, transportation, business and everything else that comes along with a very large metro area.

The sports staff has enough people to cover the Hawks, Thrashers, Falcons, Bulldogs, Yellow Jackets, Dream and hundreds of local high schools (well, maybe not "enough" anymore). Almost the entire preps staff was part-timers. They're probably down to a high schools editor and no more than three preps writers.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I believe Simon was referring to the publisher who slashed PB and then was promoted to Atlanta, not Ronnie. IIRC, Ronnie didn't work in PB -- Miami and I think Fort Myers.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No jobs to bail us out.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

His name is Doug Franklin. By the way, there are many well known scribes with less than five years in Atlanta.

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

That's right, Frank. Ronnie came from Miami, not Palm Beach. I think my head is hurting from the news, and I got the two mixed up. My apologies, all. Carry on.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

What is AJC's circulation?

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

They have to cover a lot of stuff.

12. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Is? Or Was?

As of the last audit, it was roughly 300K on weekdays and 450K on Sundays. Not sure when that was or if/how much it has dropped since then.

Draft saved Draft deleted