1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HackyMcHack, Mar 25, 2009.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

This time, 30 percent of the newsroom gone.

Full AJC story: http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/03/25/ajc_job_cuts.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

AJC up AGAIN?

A Facebook status updated said something about a 30 percent cut (90 spots) in Atlanta?
    Anyone?
    Aren't they already cut to the bone? Can that be for real? I suspect it is because the statusee has a pretty good in there.
    Jeebus Cripes.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: AJC up AGAIN?

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/03/25/ajc_job_cuts.html

Yep.

4. Moderator1

Hacky got this up as I was typing so I merged.
    Mu-fucker. The situation. Not Hacky. Hacky's the man.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Absolute insanity.

And those with as little as five years get buyouts? Wow.

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Thanks for the vine, moddy. I just wish it didn't have to do with this subject.

This, combined with the A2 news from Monday, makes it imperative for EVERYONE in this business to have a bailout plan.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Fuck me. This is sickening.

They got rid of 48 part-timers and are dumping another 90 or so full-timers? Holy shit, that's about 140 people, <i>all from the newsroom</i>. Is this the biggest newsroom-only cut we've seen that didn't involve a paper basically closing down? I can't think of one this big before.

The AJC is really in some major trouble. I fear greatly that Atlanta is surging closer to the lead in the race to become the first major U.S. city to be without a newspaper. I don't know how much more of this I can handle.

Thoughts go out to everyone there, including Ronnie Ramos, a great guy and an occasional poster here. Those of you who there who know me, beers are on me next time I go through town. Fuck.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Jesus. This is becoming a perpetual cycle of this industry making me think it can't get any worse and immediately proving me wrong.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Ramos gets a lot of crap from people on here, but he's been put in an impossible situation.

I wish everyone there the best.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They brought that talentless asshole from Palm Beach to do only this.

11. Moderator1

Which one?

12. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I always enjoyed my dealings with him, but I understand the sentiment. I didn't mean to make this thread about Ronnie, though. Just wanted to mention a guy who I like personally and know is going through a tough time. Everybody at the AJC is hurting right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted