1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts at USA Today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 3, 2014.

1. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Did you somehow miss the salary purge and the demand of survivors to cover twice as much turf in order to go 24/7 and make the numbers work to add those new hires? USAT making splashy hires hardly is anything new.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Look, I don't want to come across like I'm defending Gannett, because I'm guessing there aren't many on this board who hate Gannett as much as I do. My only point was that when USAT let all of the people go a few years ago, it was a different situation that it is at 95 percent of the other papers that are having layoffs. Other places, let people go, consolidate or eliminate jobs and decide to go without things like copy editors etc. At USA Today, they let a truckload of people go and then hired a truckload to replace them.

There's no question they ran some of the people who survived that initial purge off.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A1 this morning. Whoops.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Copy editor might have caught that. Might have.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

That's just all types of awesome!

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just put you up to 222.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Haw-haw-haw-haw-----hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ...

-- Muleskinner Blues

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's a LOT less of it . . . a LOT less. They've cut the page count to anorexic levels.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The only thing better would have been if they stuck a picture of Eli in there.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I second that. $2 for a 28-page paper doesn't cut the mustard with me.

11. lkoon

lkoon New Member

Oh BurnsWhenIPee, whoever you are, I think I love you. I might use your post as a topper on my resume. And HHenry I've always loved you. And I loved my work at USA TODAY. But I do hate what's happening to the business (yeah, yeah, yeah). So time to find another mountain of shit with which to deal. I'm sure there's one out there with my name on it - if you see it, let me know, huh? lkoon@mindspring.com - Liza Koon

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good luck to you, Liza. Don't be a stranger here.

Draft saved Draft deleted