1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts at the Plain Dealer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

sgreenwell and HanSenSE like this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Literally nobody is good enough to work at the Plain Dealer anymore.

Sports Barf, SFIND, wicked and 2 others like this.
  3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's unimaginable.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The Plain Dealer has covered — and survived — the Great Depression, the Great Recession, civil and world wars, the Spanish Flu of 1918, and now the COVID-19 pandemic.

Holy shit the pandemic is over and it took until the 16th graph to mention it? Talk about burying the lede!

Before anyone starts pounding nails in coffins, as some of my more sensationalist brethren and harsh critics are wont to do, take a breath. This is not the end of The Plain Dealer. Far from it.

NARRATOR: It was the end of The Plain Dealer.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I have no idea who Tim is - not from that area at all. But I always squirm when I read these kind of "explainers." As someone who's been in and out of the business for like, 15 years, it just reads like 100 percent bullshit and moving the goalposts. It's great that you're still the biggest journalism outlet in the area, but you just fired a health reporter during a pandemic. I realize someone higher up than him probably made him write it, and I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, having never been in it - Quit? Refuse and get fired and replaced by someone worse? At this point, I think it's just better to say nothing, or write a short and to the point piece. "Unfortunately, because of poor circulation numbers and advertising revenue, we've had to lay off these X staffers."

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Meh. I've known Tim for 30 plus years. He really is a good guy. I'm sure he has no choice. I'm sure he was told write this or lose your job. He's close to retirement. I don't know how you choose in that situation.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I guess it would really suck to have to choose between your pension and legacy.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Well said. I just hate those kind of pieces. Like you said they’re 100 percent bullshit. It’s typical. Cut staff and somehow everything is great. Come on.

Tweener, HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When I read these things I always have an image of someone typing up an announcement for the passengers on the Titantic and trying to put the iceberg in a positive light.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah. And again - I don't know this guy, and it's understandably a rough position he's been put in. Tons of conflicting professional and personality loyalties. But I always think that the longer these pieces are, the worse they end up sounding.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It was nice until here:

Five pillars of Greater Cleveland journalism are joining cleveland.com: Letter from the editor

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To our First Class passengers on the RMS Titanic:

I know you have been enjoying our luxuriant conditions that have been provided by the Greatest Vacation Company In the World (tm), the White Star Line. We have a special offer for you! Tired of having to share the same ship with those steerage passengers? Then hop aboard one of our lifeboats! We'll ensure that they won't be filled to capacity, leaving you with plenty of room to stretch out, give a place for your dog to sit, or to social distance. You'll get an up-close and personal look with views of the Atlantic Ocean. You'll get to watch our talented crew members lower these heavy lifeboats down 10 stories. You'll even get a front-row seat to see the Greatest Wonder of the World (tm) take on Physics and Gravity in a no-holds-barred Death Match.

Special prize of a free life jacket to anyone who gets the seat next to me on a lifeboat.

Hugs and kisses,

Bruce

To our Third Class passengers on RMS Titanic:

These are exciting times! Every now and then, it is necessary for ships to test their water-weight capacity in order to synergize our emergency procedures for our First Class passengers. This means that you will have to wait until all First Class passengers are off the ship. But don't worry. Our ship is unsinkable, and this is only a test. While you are waiting, why don't you enjoy a cold drink? Our ship now has additional resources of ice. Check out your Local Information Telegraph Center for more details.

Just remember. No matter what happens from this moment forth, Everything is Awesome! (tm)

Bye, Felicia,

Mr. Ismay

Deskgrunt50, HanSenSE, SFIND and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted