1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts at the Plain Dealer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Mar 9, 2020.

1. sportsfan22

sportsfan22 New Member

2. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Actually, I thought it was fairly straightforward and BS-free as those types of columns go.

The editor was a union leader a very short time ago and worked with virtually everyone being laid off. It's not like it's his call.

3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Dallas Morning News laid off its horse racing writer the week before the Breeders Cup which was held in its market. You expect anything different?

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Boy, these companies sure didn't waste any time in making their cuts. Somebody should do an expose and see if any of the CEO's expect to make less than usual this year while sending so many to the unemployment line.

6. Fredrick

Might as well get rid of the health writer. They can always make the (former) sports guys write the corona stories for pennies since sports editors are so gutless they won't fight to keep a sports staff intact.

7. Fredrick

I guess the guild at least got the reporters severance pay. Not sure how valuable a union can be in this era of cutting. Doesn't seem very valuable to me. Maybe the reporters are happy bout the severance. Hope so.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Fresno Bee laying off it's top two prep writers a few days before spring sports playoffs starting, culminating with the state swimming and track finals ... in the Fresno area.

9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Seems like a lot of those laid off had been with the paper for a long time and were likely among highest-paid reporters and critics.

11. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

These layoffs were announced before the coronavirus. Or at least before the world went crazy due to the coronavirus.

I imagine there will be more coronavirus-cuts coming later.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted