1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There is a built in punishment for fouling: A player fouls too many times, they are removed from the game. A team exceeds a certain number of fouls and the other team automatically shoots free throws.

As for the other two, I get your point that you don't try to hurt a chance to score by throwing a ball incomplete or by halting your progress by running out of bounds, but there are times in the course of the game where it is the wise move regardless of the clock.
    Throw a ball away to avoid a sack or if the risk of throwing to a receiver is too high. Run out of bounds to avoid an unnecessary hit. So both are done in the normal course of the game, absent the clock.

Also, won't the clock will start on the ready for play after going out of bounds until after a certain point in the game? At least in the NFL?

2. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

My friend's wife had the best idea - stop having so many commercials. :)

The woman is a genius.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heh. Then give the fouled team the option of "declining" the free throws, as football teams can decline penalties.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As much crud as ESPN deservedly took for their "auction" skit (perhaps only someone who is black would have noticed there weren't any people of color among the bidders), is the lead-up of the draft any better? Is the lead up to any draft any better. "He's got great big hands!, good feet and and good eye!" He's really only 6-2, but he plays bigger!"

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Someone. Anyone. How does anyone involved in the ESPN auction not realize how bad that looks?

I thought the outrage might have been overblown. Until I watched it.

Holy crap that was a stupid mistake.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Is there a link to this commercial?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Katie Nolan won't be renewed at FS1 - expected to land at ESPN.

Sports Barf likes this.
  9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I believe Puck Daddy's Greg Wyshynski is going there, too.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

An awesome talent. Totally, totally, totally. Awesome. Talent. Did I mention she is an awesome talent?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted