1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That list of backup QBs better than Kaepernick, for starters. Brock Osweiler just had one of the worst QB seasons in recent memory. Geno Smith has more INTs than Kaepernick in half the games. Matt Cassel and Chad Henne are a combined 800 years old. Ryan Mallett has never done anything.

And Tim Tebow as the exact same scenario? Holy shit. Tebow got four chances to catch on in the NFL (and one chance to make a career out of a sport he hasn't played since high school) because people admired him so much for his off-field beliefs. It's the exact opposite of Kaepernick.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

According to Marc Stein's Wikipedia he got fired in April. But didn't he help break the Philly-Boston trade for ESPN? What is going on?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

From my understanding, his contract isn't up yet. It's not being renewed.

4. LanceyHoward

I thought other people with contracts that were not up were sent home.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think you're right, and I'm not sure why this one is different.

It could simply be that he wanted to keep working.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Could it have something to do with Adrian Wojnarowski coming over to ESPN? Read a couple of things Woj was making the move this coming week and Stein was let go to make eventual room. Maybe he isn't gone until Woj arrives?

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think part of it was that his sport's season was still going on. I know for the NFL Draft they gave Werder and some others the option to work through the event but they declined. Maybe Stein has the same offer -- through the Draft and then step aside and decided to do that.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wasn't theTitans writer one of the victims of the big purge?

9. LanceyHoward

I think the Titans guy was the only NFL beat writer let go. ESPN is still staffing the other teams. I think ESPN was unhappy with his work and used the broader layoffs as an opportunity to get rid of him.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Terry Frei to backup Broncos writer? </crossthread>

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Why would Feinstein call out two reporters like that? What does he accomplish? I've lost respect for him. Katz seems as good as anybody in his role. McHenry ditto. Why blast them on twitter? Weird. Is Feinstein a bad guy? I never thought that before.

Draft saved Draft deleted