1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure it has value. But, the value is measured in internet dollars, which are not convertible to real dollars.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"Value" (in this context) is a revenue minus costs proposition. I have a very hard time believing that, in an era in which people are increasingly disinclined to pay to watch live sports on television, there's value in breaking news about those sports.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't believe for a second that people are dropping all of their cable/satellite channels because they dislike the politics on one of them. Nor do I believe sports fans are going to complicate their ability to watch live events because of matters unrelated to the actual competition.
    If there were a la carte options and people were dropping ESPN more than any other major network, the political argument would be worth discussing. But that's not the way it works.

dixiehack and HanSenSE like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

It's smart. All those folks are looking for jobs now.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

For being called the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, about 98% of the krap that they have on during the day is sure as shit not entertaining.......it barely qualifies as sports.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did any of the geniuses who put ESPN in a position to lay off a few hundred in the last year lost their jobs? Or are they merely cutting expenses to meet their bonus numbers?

7. tapintoamerica

Or how that makes fiscal sense. I know they buy the rights in part because the rights allow them to create ancillary programming such as nightly NFL news shows, etc. But wouldn't those shows have to deliver massive profits in order to make up for the losses incurred on the game broadcasts? They're not taking in $100,000,000 in ad revenue per game, are they?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was predicated on the idea that this and the other rights deals would force sports fans to pay for the monthly cable subscription. That's where they make their real money and why they pay so much more than the networks for much lower ratings.

Funny enough, millions of people are finding out they can do without cable, even the sports. And ESPN is left holding the bag. The NFL and MLB contracts last until 2021, the NBA until 2025. So, really, there's no relief in sight.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No relief now or later -- when the contracts end you're still going to have to re-ante, because without the games you're completely irrelevant. But in another few years you'd have to think some kind of a-la-carte pricing system will be hatched, right? The demographics are not in cable's favor.

10. LongTimeListener

This is where I think it starts to come out of the leagues' profits. Who knows what the landscape will be then, but obviously if the contracts were up for bid in this era of cord-cutting, they wouldn't yield nearly the dollars they do now. We've heard a lot of talk that we're in a rights bubble. I could see a correction in that, with ensuing labor strife over the smaller pie.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

12. LongTimeListener

Jesus Christ, that's Linda Cohn?

[​IMG]

Does she have the Visser package with the surgeon?

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted