1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. nickp

nickp Active Member

Lack of consistent timeslot killed Baseball Tonight I gave up & watch MLB Tonight & Quick Pitch on MLB Network

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Same here. It was must watch every night for a long while.

And then I found MLB Network on our Dish lineup, and never looked back.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

MLB Tonight is the exact opposite of Baseball Tonight.
    But it's the most watchable train wreck on TV

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In today's economic environment I think "click-baiter" is a synonym for "shrewd".

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And "undignified"

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Playing the race card is for message board trolls. It's easy, often lazy yet still pushes people's buttons. SAS may not have lost a single friend in the house cleaning, but he lost colleagues. he has no reason to feel guilty for his paycheck and job, but he has $3.5 million reasons to at least shut up for one day. He performs the job that he's paid to perform and does it up to the expectations of his employer. And fir the length of his contract he's deemed worthy by ESPN to remain employed.

But he needed to show some humility and empathy, some version of class and decorum, yet he felt the need to call attention to himself. And that makes him a professional troll and expert asshole. Jonas Kaufman is a greater singer than Gene Simmons, but Simmons is richer and more famous. It doesn't make him a better singer just a more popular performer. SAS doesn't get he's William Hung.

fuscribe likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No doubt. Concern troll.

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Vigilantes don't read. Vigilantes attack!

Rhody31 likes this.
  9. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

I was reading some of the tweets from the people who were let go, and it seems they all said the same thing. It almost makes me wonder if the ESPN suits handed them sample tweets at the top of their exit package. Sample might say something like the following: I just got the news that I was being (fired/terminated/let go). I worked for (list number of years) years with (name of program/position), and am grateful for of the talented people at ESPN.

goalmouth and poindexter like this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

True.

But sadly lots of very dignified people at ESPN and other places are losing jobs at a much faster rate than "click-baiters".

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And he's so Google alertish to his name mention that he sent me a DM here last week asking me what problem I had with him. Magary more or less reiterated verbatim my response. Take a cue, Dick. We want our media critics to have some balls

justgladtobehere likes this.
  12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

A colleague and I noticed this, too, and he even went so far as to label it "Stepford positivity." I get that it'd look bad in their upcoming job searches to publicly shit on the Four-Letter, but damn, it all comes across as over the top. I'm sure there are non-disparagement clauses in their severances, and these tweets are related to that. But really, nobody would blame them for being at least somewhat pissed at getting the Ziggy.

georgealfano likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted