1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Glengarry Glen Woj.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

As someone who normally defends him around these parts, he's starting to get into Rick Reilly territory, which I'm sure would delight him if he had more self-reflection ability. Like, part of his recent schtick is kind of mocking himself about how he no longer writes, and he doesn't seem to realize that it leads to shittier opinions and content. As Jalen Rose always said, people get really comfortable on podcasts unlike other mediums, and it's easy to say lazy, stupid or offensive things as a result.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not as much as when you aren't doing it live -- and recording it.

Simmons doesn't write anymore because, well, there's not the money in that as opposed to having one of the few, few podcasts that brings in major dollars.

Writers aren't that different than musicians. You're hungry when you're building something but, by the time you have every material thing you'd ever want, you're not as aggressive. Just go into "safe mode".

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. rubenmateo

rubenmateo Active Member

I always thought it would be cool if ESPN Classic aired old SportsCenter episodes, especially once all of the classic games in its rotation started popping up on YouTube.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It depends on what replaces it. Nothing but docs? Cool. Nothing but HotTakes? Not cool.

Liut likes this.
  10. exmediahack

Simmons makes his value in a week like this.

Two-parter with Tom Hanks on the podcast. Absolutely wonderful. I like it because he asks the questions that I would ask Hanks.

As a kid, when Hanks was on Letterman, that was auto VCR record for me. These podcasts are the new talk show appearances. Only better.

Liut and Tighthead like this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A channel that was better in theory than in reality. Most of us are nostalgic for the Madden/Summerall days, for example, but that doesn't mean we'd sit down and watch a 3-hour rebroadcast of a 1988 Redskins-Giants game in all its mediocre picture quality glory (or even a 1-hour cut-down version). We're satiated now with a 90-second YouTube clip and the box score at profootballreference.

12. exmediahack

Definitely was time.

However, from the first time I saw it in 1996 to about 2008/2009, when YouTube videos went longer than 10 minutes, it definitely had a place.

Draft saved Draft deleted