1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

That's good. It will help ESPN justify that fifth afternoon replay of the poodle races and the guy taking one off the jewels. Can't analyze those events often enough.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, both of those sound incredible! I'd much rather watch a loop of them than Stephen A.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I bet your parents still subscribe to a print edition of a newspaper. When I read that paragraph I thought how easily you could substitute the word newspaper for cable television. And we have seen what has happened to the newspaper industry.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Charleston Post and Courier. Pretty much the only time I read a print paper all year is when I visit. (And it is a good paper, by the way.)

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Christina just LOOKS like a stupid person. I would divorce her too if I had to listen to dumb things all day.

Flip or Flop has poisoned the real estate market forever.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

This is dumb. If they spend a whole morning pounding an item, of course there will be a ripple effect. Saying the ripple effect justifies the pounding is idiotic.

But that's the logic of a declining network.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

“One of the cool things about all this digital disruption is that you can know things about your fans,” says King, a former newspaper editor and 13-year veteran of ESPN who took over SportsCenter in 2014. “You don’t have to guess so much.” If you, loyal ESPN viewer, have ever sat in your living room wondering why you’re being subjected to yet another Talmudic discussion of “Deflategate,” King would argue it’s because that’s what you asked for.​

So they're basically telemarketers responding to social media, instead of journalists telling you what is actually news. No surprise. King is one of the least creative people in the business. Everything he's touched at ESPN has gradually turned to shit.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

King also says: “To me, it’s about respecting the audience. Because they’re more sophisticated, and more ready to start digging into their own storylines, than we give them credit for.”

Respecting the audience? You're dictating the storylines based in large part on your league contracts and then shoving them down everyone's throats through multiple shows and platforms.

And saying that fans are more sophisticated today strikes me as somewhat insulting. I know plenty of fans that don't live on Twitter. They want to know what happened last night and what's on tap tonight, and can live without the endless blather.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You haven't heard? Fans who troll and hurl insults on Twitter are highly sophisticated.

11. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

"Although ESPN executives acknowledge that this could happen years from now if cable continues to decline, the plan for now is more modest. In February, Iger characterized the new service, which doesn’t yet have a name, as “an add-on or adjunct product that consumers can buy on top of what is their normal multichannel package.” Executives at both ESPN and MLB say the offering will likely include a mix of baseball and hockey games—though not the marquee matchups that appear on national telecasts today—as well as competitive video gaming, international sports such as cricket and rugby, and college football and basketball games from outside the major conferences. “I think it’s a learning exercise more than anything,” says BTIG’s Greenfield. “This is really them starting to learn the direct-to-consumer business and dealing with customer service, churn, retention, and marketing.""

So basically they're gonna start charging extra for ESPN3?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted