1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I dunno that it's a really a business model if you can't buy a channel ala carte.

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A lot of people watch HGTV. And a lot of people watch HGTV that don't admit to it.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

HGTV does just fine, thank you. Justglad is ignoring the main issue. As the most expensive cable network (since it's the biggest), ESPN is most subject to downturns in the overall cable market, and most vulnerable to demands from cable providers. You don't think the four pro league networks aren't undercutting ESPN and coming in with lowball carriage fees to their cable carriers? Everybody understands. It's two monopolies dealing with each other. Consumers get no choice as to their cable provider (except in very rare cases like Lexington, Ma.) and cable networks and providers have no sources of live pro sports except the four leagues.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I watch Flip or Flop. Completely devastated that Tareek and Christina are getting divorced.

Lt.Drebin likes this.
  5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

They are the two-headed beast.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. playthrough

At least Chip and Joanna are still going strong. I think.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is absolutely the truth. There's not one person who has, or ever would, cut out their cable because of issues of content or product. It's always, always about the outrageous cost, and the fact that people have little choice in the matter in most areas if they want to have much TV access at all. Which they do, because, let's face it, for a lot of people, TV is their lone, or main, entertainment/relaxation provider. So, even as ultimately disposable as it, people are loath to cut the cord. It takes a long time, and a lot, for it to happen. But it's getting talked about, and happening, more and more now, because prices have reached that point.

I consider cable companies right up there, almost, with medical insurance companies when it comes to the almost-criminal, uncontained price-gouging. And, when you consider the comparisons of need/importance of those two things, that's saying something.

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Far from correct. People who cut the cord do so to drop what they say they don't watch. They are willing to go to more effort to watch other things.

Except others in this thread and others claim cord-cutting is an epidemic.

I'll continue to stick with the sane point of view: Product quality often plays a role in purchasing a product. Cable is delivered in a different fashion, but that method is changing.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I consider cable companies as the prime example of the negative effects of deregulating a utility. But there was a technological change. One can access programming from sources such as Netflix, Apple TV, etc. You pay a fee for the shows but can watch them at your convenience. Fifteen years ago this technology did not exist.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Except for a 3-month trial in 2012, I have not had cable for nearly seven years. Haven't missed it for a second.

12. playthrough

Cutting the cord for something new can be intimidating too. My parents wouldn't install Apple TV or another device on their own, and if I did for them they would just complain about the remote or something -- even with the massive cost savings. Call it intimidation or flat laziness. But the young'uns nowadays don't flinch at downloading apps and configuring things, and when they move into their first houses, they're not calling the cable guy right after the power is turned on.

So there's the issue of cord-cutting, then the issue of folks who will never have the cord to begin with. The latter is the epidemic that's coming down the road for ESPN and others.

Draft saved Draft deleted