1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have read Maisel ever since he was at SI and think he is awesome.

But in marketing there are undifferentiated products and products that become distinctive brands. And distinctive branded products sell for a lot more than generic brands. I think Maisel has gone from a brand to a generic product. He used to be very visible on that website. He did a lot of radio with Beano Cook and seem not to be as visible on his website.

So Maisel is now a generic product with what I bet is a brand salary. And you can say that is crap because Maisel is a hell of a journalist. But that is the way the world works today.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Liut likes this.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ivan has been a joy to be with in numerous press boxes and golf media centers over the years. Very sad to see this. Someone is going to get one of the very best when he lands on his feet.

Liut likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember Maisel at Newsday. Hate for anyone to lose his job, but especially someone who has suffered so much personal loss as Ivan. Hopefully there's room for him at Stadium, which seems to be a good landing spot for no BS writers/analysts (Jeff Goodman, Brett McMurphy) squeezed out by the mouse.

Guy_Incognito and Liut like this.
  4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great posts, Sam Mills. I support what you are saying. You are correct in your takes in my humble opinion.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Of course, ESPN went after Graham Hays. Because there's always an overabundance of stories on women's sports. Yeah, it looks like Mechelle Voepel survived, but really ESPN ... it's OK to have stories on women's sports from more than one viewpoint. I mean, you offer us four or five talking heads for everything else except hockey.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

“I write stories that astonish me even though no body else thinks they’re worth a damn.” said Vonnegut through Kilgore Trout

maumann likes this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I recall Maisel telling me in a radio interview Bear Bryant told him Leroy Jordan was the best player he ever coached.

I was somewhat taken aback, but ... I've recounted the story several times since. Wish Ivan all the best.

maumann likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

12. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

In a surprising turn of events, it appears Dan will be not only paying Cote's salary but will also give him a raise.

Draft saved Draft deleted