1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I knew he announced. Didn't realize he stepped back in.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

We were there a year ago, mid-week, off-season. The merch stores were slammed even after 10 pm on a Monday.

Another thing that stood out was how talented everyone serving us was. The parking lot attendant at Magic kingdom was freestyle rapping to tell us how to get back to our car. Every waiter was funny, friendly and on point. There were more skilled dancers and actors and singers than you could ever count. It felt like everyone with any spark of charisma from small towns around the world had come here to work.

And that was just the little parts we saw. All the other off-site huge hotels and restaurants need at least a few people who aren’t total dipshits.

The scale of it all is incomprehensible. Surely it’s too big to fail from anything short of a comet — not a measly asteroid — hitting Florida. It’ll be fascinating to see how it comes back.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If the Mouse sneezes, everybody in central Florida gets the chills. After canker and widespread frost killed off most of the citrus crop in the 1970s, Orlando pushed all its chips into tourism, and basically rides the boom or bust rollercoaster depending on how much Magic the Kingdom provides. Here are the top 10 employers:
    1. Walt Disney World
    2. Orange County Public Schools
    3. State of Florida Government
    4. Adventist Health System
    5. Florida Hospital
    6. Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
    7. Orlando Regional Healthcare System
    8. Universal Studios Orlando
    9. Kaiser Foundation Hospital
    10. Publix Supermarkets, Inc.

playthrough and Pilot like this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Either Disney was poorly operated or your editor was blowing smoke up your ass. If your position was making money, you would have been kept. The parks should not have been or were not propping up ESPN.com.

5. NOT THAT JD

NOT THAT JD New Member

Florida Hospital is part of the Adventist Health System. It's the main hub.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

Yep, Orlando has tourists and old people. Lots of both. Stands to reason hospitals account for the other 25 percent of the jobs in town.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's big corporations for you. If one division isn't making its nut, others might be forced to sacrifice to make the bottom line look better.

maumann and sgreenwell like this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When I worked for a publishing division of Disney, they held one of the East Coast company picnics at a day camp in north Jersey. It was the best-organized event I have ever attended, 3,000 people ands zero lines for food. We got a picture with Winnie thew Pooh, met a lot of other cast members from print, radio and TV. At the end, Iger and Willow landed in a helicopter and he told us what a great job we were doing. We also got passes to the theme parks each year. Seems like a hundred years ago...

HappyCurmudgeon and maumann like this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

We were there last summer for about nine days (which, we agreed upon arriving home, was at least three days too long for August). It's crazy to look at the pictures now and see wall-to-wall people and how unimaginable that will be for the rest of time. It's also nuts to think about how I was laid low by a fever for a few days after getting back and how I just shrugged it off as a badge of honor for traveling.

3_Octave_Fart and maumann like this.
  10. maumann

I got really sick after going to see the Christmas decorations at a packed Disney Springs last November. Took me five weeks to get over "severe sinusitis," which they had to treat with a steroid. My doctor still doesn't know what it really was.

Have no interest in ever getting in a crowd of people like that again.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Train ride in India is the scariest.

[​IMG]

Not near that outlandish but it was a complete joke how many people were on the thing.
    And driving there is like the asteroid scene in Star Wars.

Vombatus and maumann like this.
  12. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted