1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am espn-neutral. But I got to admit, I am fascinated by this Get Up trainwreck.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Get Up is indeed a trainwreck. But she'll be celebrated for saying what she said in more than a few corners. Someone might even say Get Up just became more vital as a result. Its ratings may go up as a protest vehicle.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Lots of interesting comments on here — seriously. This is an interesting debate.

My 2 cents is ESPN (and many other media) will push ANY divisive issue, because it generates ratings. So anything controversial that can be related to sports in any way (Jenner) gets thrown in viewers faces in the hope of generating ratings and/or a reaction.

Liberals or conservatives aren't the enemy of ESPN. Apathy is.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. poindexter

Naw, if you find me two examples, I would be completely surprised. She is shitting on her company's #1 product.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe the viewer interactions soured her on football.

6. poindexter

I could not even imagine being a woman on twitter.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with this. Problem is, there's such a hot take surplus, the controversy currency has become devalued.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You think declaring she’d refuse to watch baseball or basketball would have produced equanimity?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think in this case she was talking specifically about Urban Meyer.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm aware. You think, if she's talking about John Calipari, the BBN has a different reaction? The same fan base that tried to ruin a referee's livelihood?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

By all means, let's stipulate that sports fans are equally likely to be rotten.

But let's not forget which of those three sports sells itself into the culture as a builder of character - as a builder of men.

Maybe Ms. Beadle is tired of that specific hypocrisy.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted