1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He’s like Rasputin.

2. ESPN is dealing with an abundance of issues. As has been noted, they've given a lot of exposure to sports that wouldn't have gotten very much otherwise.

But more often they're more concerned with having shouting matches and keeping their parters like the NFL, NBA, and NCAA happy than doing serious journalism (Outside the Lines is the exception). And SportsCenter, which I haven't watched in years, now is essentially an infomercial for leagues that ESPN has broadcast rights to. Part of the rights deals include an assured placed on SportsCenter.

I understand why they do it, but it's not journalism

HanSenSE and I Should Coco like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

SportsCenter used to be a hell of a show, kids. You would have loved it. But more and more it's like when I last tuned in after getting home from work. I think it was the quarterfinals or semifinals of the World Cup as well as a busy days at Wimbledon and in baseball and they lead with ... NBA Summer League?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Bills lose three games in a row then Swami picks them because "no one circles the wagons, blah blah blah." How does anyone place bets without first watching this cutting-edge analysis?

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. When I got cable in the midwest circa 1980 ESPN was just getting on the air. SportsCenter used to be really good in those days

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I liken SportsCenter now to when Happy Days started forgetting/not caring it was set in the 50s and they let the actors grow their hair out, Mr. C started wearing tinted glasses and they didn't care so much about the vernacular the characters used.

7. DanOregon

The only thing better than ESPN not showing the Anthem during its coverage is if they instead threw in a PSA to encourage donations to the USO, the Red Cross, Wounded Warriors or various charities that deal with hunger, social justice or housing assistance. Have owners and players talk about charities they support to ensure our country lives up to its values.
    Frankly - this is a move the NFL should make with the PA. People can put their money where their mouths are. Donate to soldiers, donate to fallen law enforcement, donate to social caused. It would mean a hell of a lot more than standing for or watching the anthem.

HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

ESPN made such disastrous decisions over a two-year period that a Berman return is a desperate measure to bump the ratings a little and, more to the point, rewire the culture again.

Sunday Countdown last year was not good. It was not bad. It just sat there. So I'd turn to NFL Network.

The quality of most ESPN shows is...not good. Or bad. It's just there. No compelling reason to watch. The NBA coverage - which, at this point, is relentless to the point of mindlessness - is a little better, but not a ton.

The Ringer piece on Tess is notable. More than once, Curtis references the relationship between ESPN and the NFL. It's not a good one. Some of it is the NFL being babies. Some of it is ESPN acting like the NBA - which is absolutely not the better product - is a way better product.

9. DanOregon

Almost makes you wonder if ESPN laid off the wrong people the last few years...

Ice9 likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hadn't read that Tessitore story 'til now. Very good stuff.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

They are basically undoing everything Skipper did,

He, by the way, is now working for DAZN (pronounced "Da-Zone"). Going to be very interesting to see where that organization goes.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think SportsCenter suffers from two things:

1. The internet. Now we know the scores.

2. Every national anchor on every network tries to imitate Dan Patrick/Keith Olbermann. They don't do it as well and it is very generic.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted