1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because ESPN wanted him.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why? Didn't they understand that there are only national elections in even-numbered years? And why didn't ABC News stick its oar in? News side is usually very sensitive about sports poaching stuff.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

FiveThirtyEight had a lot of pretty graphs about sports. A luxury when you're flush with cash and an easy cut now, no matter how they're spinning it.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think they figured 538 would become part of the national sports/stats argument.

Not sure it ever did.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, their stat pieces were either wholly obvious but with decimal points thrown in, like "We prove the Warriors are good" or obvious and borderline insulting clickbait, like when they maintained the 2007 Patriots were the best team in NFL history because the Super Bowl was an outlier.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You couldn’t me more wrong.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

538 was and is boring to read. And I like stats and graphs. But it pretty consistently felt like people standing outside of the subject matter and not in it. It lacked a certain human dynamic.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I like the site and am a regular for their podcasts. But, lacking a certain “human dynamic” would jive with what I’ve heard from acquaintances who worked there.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I gotta be honest, I am getting more and more fascinated by Get Up! Not the show itself, but the budget, the ratings, the content, the people in front of the camera.

I haven't watched much of it but it loosely resembles Sportscenter. Which is on concurrently. I turned Get Up on this morning, and they were going over Top Plays. Then on Sportscenter later, I saw the exact same 10 Top Plays. So I can watch Top Plays with Greenberg, Beadle and Rose commenting; or the exact same plays with Sage Steele and two other interchangeable jabronies commenting.

I am neutral to Greenberg, Beadle and Rose; I wouldn't turn off the tv if they appear, but I am not going out of my way to find them. I am just trying to figure out how this show differentiates itself (I know they had a discussion of best rap groups that wouldn't appear on Sportscenter).

There was an unfortunate Hollywood Reporter article that used the word "Woke" to describe the show before it began.
    ESPN Plans to Wake Up Woke With New Morning Show
    Uh-oh, that's a problem. If a show has "woke" in it's description, 35-40% of the country, the MAGA group, is going to either ignore it or actively dislike it. Greenberg vehemently denied using that word to describe the show. He knows what an anchor that would be.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

At least that would make it different, though. I like Jalen on his podcast, and Beedle, but I'm not exactly excited at the prospect of them doing Sportscenter Lite or Cold Pizza 2.0 with Greenberg. Make the show Super Woke, or like a sports version of the Today Show, or something different.

11. playthrough

Seemed like that was intentional. Not to go all design-geek, but to me the pages scream "no humans here."

12. playthrough

Megyn Kelly had Danica Patrick on and they had a go-kart race in the studio. I can't stand Kelly and I'm meh on Danica, but I saw it shared on Facebook and gave it a click. Was a couple minutes of mindless entertainment. Would that be below "Get Up" to do? Is yapping around a table better TV?

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted