1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I would disagree. I'm not particularly a fan of his (plus the matchups on MNF largely stink so I'm rarely watching anyway), but he was turning into as much of a fixture as anyone at ESPN when you also mix in the QB camp stuff, SportsCenter and ESPN Radio hits, endorsements, etc. Surely the next hire won't get his paycheck (I read somewhere it was more like $6.5 million), but they'll be hard-pressed to find as big of a personality for their most important live program.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'll agree to disagree with you! ;)

playthrough likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You need a quarterback or coach in the booth or an established personality, someone you can sell immediately and Rex Ryan, Randy Moss, or either of the Hasselbacks isn't going to get it done. Since he's already "in the family" - I'm surprised Disney just pull Strahan off of Fox and into MNF.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

ESPN is getting out of the NFL business as soon as it can. It will then become the NFL’s leading critic.

5. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Disney seems pretty intent on making Strahan into a thing on Good Morning America.

6. DanOregon

That's the thing though - 17 nights a year he helps cross promote GMA and removes name from Fox. Seems like a no-brainer.

7. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I dunno. It seems like having him on MNF takes him off the Monday and Tuesday broadcasts of GMA, because I am not letting my lead analyst just fly in a few hours before the game. You could possibly have him working remotely from that week’s MNF location on GMA, but I doubt there would be a demand for that. I’d rather just find a capable analyst and keep Strahan in the role he currently is in.

I also don’t know what his FOX/Disney contracts are like. It might not be that easy to get him off the FOX show.

8. playthrough

But if he's cross-promoting GMA, that in theory is taking eyeballs away from Greenberg's new show. (And enjoy these last few moments before those promos start firing.)

9. playthrough

Hope ESPN's health care plan can cover all its employees' whiplash claims.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ha! It'll happen. Now that Gruden's gone I wouldn't count out a 3-person booth with one of them being a woman.

11. DanOregon

Colin Kaepernick and Miko Grimes.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'd sign up for cable again to see that.

Draft saved Draft deleted