1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My brain works the opposite. I'd spend the whole time fretting, "Everyone in the world is having fun . . . except me."

I even let THE THREAT of layoffs ruin my annual Key Biscayne tennis trip a few years ago. This was going to be the second major newsroom layoff (30+ people), and I was certain I was a goner. So instead of enjoying the tournament like a fan --- as I had done the previous 15 years --- I took a temporary job at the tournament as a ticket agent.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My philosophy on life is more or less reducible to “tomorrow is promised to no one.”

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Are you able to be more specific here? No pressure if not.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I will send you a PM, typefitter, as this affects several friends of mine on the digital side of the business (and BTW, this also touches on what I used to cover that led me to believe I am qualified enough to post here). [Aside from court jester, idiot, moron.]

Incoming PM shortly.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

More executions?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This may not be completely an execution. But it sure is a very self-inflicted gunshot wound to the feet by ESPN and their affiliated enterprises.

I'm convinced there are morons at many levels throughout that organization.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Some people whose work I've highly respected through the years are among the casualties in Bristol. This business can be so exciting and rewarding, yet those who only care about finances can inflict such harsh tolls without regard to experience or excellence.

"Yesterday and days before
    Sun is cold and rain is hard
    I know been that way for all my time
    'Til forever, on it goes
    Through the circle, fast and slow,
    I know it can't stop, I wonder..."

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

John Skipper out at ESPN, per the Twitterz:

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Substance abuse? Oh, so it’s cocaine.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned this somewhere in this thread several months ago. But who wants to bet Coach Gruden was told by ESPN to find a job because his $4 million salary wasn't going to be sticking around long? I'm betting this is ESPN's doing, not Gruden's.

Source: Raiders to introduce Gruden on Tue.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Gruden is pretty average in the booth; remember when he was considered a glamorous addition? Maybe they could lure Peyton Manning? Or perhaps he has bigger ideas in mind.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I agree Gruden was average, and maybe I'm in the minority, but listening to Manning in the booth is a sure-fire cure for insomnia to me.

I've never considered anything he has had to say to be insightful on any level, and his delivery has always seemed monotone and extremely "meh"

Draft saved Draft deleted