1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

SAS. Please please please!

heyabbott likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We could only dream. But maybe they'll get back to covering news instead of making it? Alas, probably means more mid-major games called from the studio.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We're actually hoping someone loses a job? Yeesh.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Here's hoping they make some of the "personalities" take a pay cut so that the hoi palloi who actually put out valuable content can remain in their roles.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

ESPN is doing to sports the same thing MTV did to music

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

MTV did a lot of good for music. Exposed people to a lot of artists they might not have otherwise heard. Sure, they turned some artists into videographers over songwriters, but you'd be hard-pressed to argue that MTV wasn't an overall boon to music. Hasn't ESPN done the same in many ways? Exposed people to sports and players who might otherwise have been marginalized? I guess at a certain point there is oversaturation. And also, there are competing providers -- Napster, most prominently in music; cord-cutters with ESPN -- that undermine the near monopoly on content providing.

I can see the relation of ESPN to MTV in that regard. MTV is now a shell of itself, and to listen to the likes of Clay Travis, ESPN is following suit. So yup, I can see the analogy.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yeah. Not cool.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, I figure he'll land somewhere else and maybe change his act a bit. He did follow Czaban on radio once, and the ratings went down the tubes.

I couldn't stand Bayless either, and he landed nicely (and onto a channel I rarely watch). Didn't he also get paid more?

Slightly changing subjects - if this trend at ESPN continues, I imagine TV rights payments might go down, and athletes eventually get paid less too?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I like SAS most times, he can be overbearing but usually like listening to him. If he is let go by the WWL he should be OK, unless he took investing advice from Len Dykstra or Mike Tyson.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I've heard SAS be entirely reasonable and somewhat charming in interviews with other sports radio hosts. My opinion of him was entirely the opposite of what I felt watching him on TV.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So what do I have to do to be among the cool kids again :) ?

Draft saved Draft deleted