1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts at DMN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lone star scribe, Aug 26, 2011.

1. There's no U desk ever created that could handle a Friday night preps football shift.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Especially a Texas Friday night prep football shift.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"There's no way they can do that because . . . " used to keep my hopes up that the carnage had to find a bottom point somewhere.

But when quality doesn't matter, there is no bottom.

4. The final toll at the DMN breaks down like this, with 38 staffers gone:

Copy Editor I -- 3
    Copy Editor II --5
    Copy Editor III -- 5
    Deputy Assistant Editor -- 5
    Assistant News Editor -- 1
    Office manager -- 1
    Senior Editor -- 1
    Design Editor -- 1
    Photo Tech -- 1
    Presentation Editor-- 1
    Content Coordinator -- 2
    Layout Editor -- 1

Bureau Chief -- 1

Special Writer -- 1
    Reporter I -- 4
    Reporter III -- 1
    Reporter III-Business -- 1
    Critic -- 1
    Photographer III -- 2

Anecdotally, we hear of 6 editors in Sports and at least one writer. FYI, the Roman numerals after job titles indicate pay scale, with I being entry level and III the high end.

http://dmncuts.blogspot.com/

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anyone know how many assignment editors and/or copy editors are left in sports? Or size of overall staff, for that matter?

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

The number of cuts there is definitely more than the size of our entire podunk newsroom. And almost double the size of our newsroom. Wow.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've said this before, but a business deciding that quality control is too expensive and cutting personnel accordingly is simply insane from any long-term perspective on the survival of that business.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Which only provides further emphasis that long-term survival is not really one of the priorities at this point.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's all about short-term numbers so the suits keep their jobs and get their bonuses.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sad as this statement is, I'm finding it reflects the new way of thinking.

Ten, 15 years ago, even the small papers I worked at made noise about trying new things to attract younger readers. Hell, AP put out a 'readers under 35' budget each day.

Then it was how can we draw people to our web site. Managers spent tons of their time pondering and experimenting on this (results may vary).

Today? Stories about aging veterans and senior centers are pushed onto A1 at my shop because "that's who our readers are." And stories are posted on the web site solely to spur pissing matches between anonymous commenters.

That's some bad carnage in Dallas. I hope everyone let go can land on their feet somehow.

11. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

I noticed the paper has around 40 sports clerks -- with none of them laid off.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

40 sports clerks? That can't be ... Maybe a total pool of 40 people, some of whom might be called in on friday nights to answer the phone?

Draft saved Draft deleted