1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts at DMN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lone star scribe, Aug 26, 2011.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

DMN, while perhaps not writing full game stories, provides live statistics and play-by-play from tons of games.

2. Southwestfornow

Southwestfornow New Member

This is my first post, so admittedly I'm a lurker on the board and not a poster. But just as an FYI on high school coverage at DMN because the info above gives a very false impression. ...

In today's Dallas Morning News (Saturday), there are eight pages of coverage, eight bylined stories (some by stringers), roundups of all Classes, state scores, how state and area ranked teams fared and a dozen or so photos. The DMN also has a high school sports columnist who wrote a column from one of the games.

3. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

A lot of stringers are only writing 3-4 graphs

4. Southwestfornow

Southwestfornow New Member

But those stringers are in addition to the eight bylined stories. The bylined stories, some of which are written by stringers, are not three or four graphs. Stringers do all the roundups. Eight pages of coverage is still a lot, or at least I think it is, although I haven't seen a lot of other papers recently.

College coverage has been hacked in recent years, but Dallas Morning News still pours a lot into high schools, especially football. It has a mobile ap specifically for high school coverage and does live scoring and play-by-play from about 50 games each weekend.

Whether all that coverage will change after the next round of cuts, who knows? In this biz, who knows anything anymore? The smoke-and-mirrors approach seems to be well-tread.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If Dallas knows what's good, they won't touch that HS coverage. Texas football fans eat that shit up.

6. writingump

writingump Member

On my way to Atlanta for Georgia-Boise State, read the Knoxville paper. It covered a dozen prep games with at least 12 inches on every game. Pretty impressive work.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hard to tell Dan....When I zoned preps, those 3-4 inchers were the 12-inch lead in another edition. And even if not, having a person you knew at every game was worth it when it mattered.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I was in Dallas this time last year and was impressed with the prep coverage, given all the cuts of the last few years.

I don't know what the coverage is like this year. But when I picked up Saturday's edition a year ago, I thought it was pretty good to see the number of stories, scores, etc.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thanks, I was going off the Web site (as stated in the beginning of the post). I tried to be thorough, but apparently wasn't thorough enough.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The DMN pays stringers $55 for three grafs and a boxscore ... same as they did 11 years ago. They're paying people $75 to do the real-time web scoring.

But as far as preps staff, they have a columnist and maybe three staff writers who cover the sacred cows (Plano, Carroll, Trinity, etc.) and that's it. They lean very heavily on their stringers.

11. nmsports

nmsports Member

$55 is more than AP pays for D-I college gamers.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

And, speaking from experience, the AP requires a lot more than three paragraphs and a box score.

Draft saved Draft deleted