1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cutbacks to come at Tampa Bay Times - UPDATE / CONFIRMATION

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Feb 27, 2014.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can kinda believe what Tash is saying in that 12 years of naming rights got the name out enough on that side of the bay. Of course they were more giddy about the name being blared nationally, until figuring out that a hockey fan in California watching a game on TV from the Tampa Bay Times Forum isn't putting one nickel into the coffers.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I agree. I think he said exactly what he needed to say, and how he had to say it. And he's probably accurate, which is a novel concept itself.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The Times buying naming rights in the first place was always a head-scratcher.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Most of these naming rights deals aren't worth crap in return. What, is someone sending more nuclear waste to Energy Solutions facilities because the company is associated with the Utah Jazz arena?

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Agreed, but The Times is so militant with it's rules for reporters. On some level I respect it, but some are so over the top that it's hard not to roll your eyes.

I don't have a problem with their rules. If you work there, you abide by them. But to then buy the naming rights of a stadium where teams that you cover play just always seemed so hypocritical.

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

What rules? Can't wait to hear this one ...

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

This one actually did make sense at the time. The Times sought to make inroads in Tampa, where it was (and by the numbers still is) the second read in town, so placing its name atop a very prominent building in downtown Tampa was a good move from a marketing standpoint. Until very recently, the Times was seen as an out-of-town newspaper. Perceptions have changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted