1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cutbacks to come at Tampa Bay Times - UPDATE / CONFIRMATION

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Feb 27, 2014.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

According to the latest circulation report from Association for Audited Media (formerly Audit Bureau of Circulations), released in September 2013, here are Florida's five largest newspapers (trends since March 2013 report in parentheses):

Newspaper Weekday Sunday

Tampa Bay Times 299,985 (-4%) 355,853 (-6%)
    Tampa Tribune 181,589 (+5%) 255,704 (-6%)
    Orlando Sentinel 172,675 (-8%) 259,791 (-4%)
    Sun-Sentinel 151,413 (+8%) 206,175 (-3%)
    Miami Herald* 129,907 (-4%) 191,323 (+1%)

*-does not include El Nuevo Herald

Under the new AAM rules, the Tribune counts 77,000 branded community newspapers as part of its weekday circulation, and 50,000 branded newspapers as part of its Sunday circulation. The Times includes 82,000 copies of its free daily commuter newspaper as part of its weekday circulation.

2. reformedhack

Not a major development, but one nonetheless: The Times has asked the IRS for permission to underfund their pension plan for the second time in two years.

http://tbo.com/news/business/times-seeks-irs-blessing-to-defer-pension-payment-20140314/

The letter was posted on Romenesko last week, but this story does offer some context. The tl;dr version — the Times is having huge cash problems, just like many other papers in the country.

Separately, I'm hearing rumblings that the powers-that-be are looking at the Sports desk as being "overstaffed."

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

It's not. They could lose 1, but that's purely a guess. They've been told they're going to start picking up 1-2 non-sports stories to start their day. I guess somebody misinterpreted that as a universal desk.
    Deadline to accept buyouts is Monday.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One photographer from the Tampa Bay Times posted on Facebook last night that he was laid off. Guessing he's not the only one.

5. reformedhack

Names have been announced throughout the past week or so -- people taking buyouts and people being "bought out," if you get my drift. As you can expect, there are lots of older and long-time (read: higher-paid) employees.

Have not heard about anyone from Sports. Have heard primarily about copy editors. Surprisingly, there have been a few folks from the online division and the team that publishes the free daily commuter tabloid. Sorry, but I won't reveal any names until/unless they say something publicly.

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

It appears the Sports desk is gaining a person, who is returning after a stint elsewhere in the newsroom. This will help as they begin to take on some early-shift biz copy, features copy, etc., etc.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

What happened to go out and gain some experience and then we'll take a look at what you can do?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This sounds like great fun. Ugh.

What's this mean?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The same thing it meant when he posted it on the Newark Star-Ledger thread.

Whatever that meant.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, NOW I get it. Or not. :)

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

So the 1 departure I anticipated from the sports copy desk -- person took a buyout -- is offset by a familiar face returning.
    Never thought sports would be a real target. Any other movement in that department would be a surprise now.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

In my youth, that used to be the slogan in this business at larger papers. Go out, gain some experience, and then we'll take a look at you. Now the trend has changed to we don't want experienced help.

Draft saved Draft deleted